Heating frozen water pipes by induction?

In summary, the author has a mountain cabin with two water pipes that can freeze in the winter. The author has come up with a solution to the problem of the pipes freezing by ensuring electrical contact between the pipes at each end. The author makes a coil with many turns and puts the coil over the parallel pipes. The coil creates a flux and the heat from the coil melts the ice.
sgphysics
I have a mountain cabin where 2 water pipes, hot an cold, goes between the bathroom and kitchen. However, they tend to freeze in the winter. The obvious solution is to put a heating wire along the pipes, but access is cumbersome. So I have thought about following solution: I ensure electrical contact between the pipes at each end, and the pipes will now form a closed loop. In the bathroom, the pipes go parallell with 50mm distance over a length of 1m along the wall. For the rest of the distance, the pipes are closer. So I make a coil with many turns, square shaped, 50mmx1m, and put the coil over the parallel pipes. Plug the coil in the socket (220V 50Hz) Now the flux created by the coil hopefully induce a large current in the loop formed by the pipes, and whoops... the ice slowly melts away because of the resistive heating: Will this work? If so, how many turns do I need? I believe a total power of 200W would be sufficient, as the pipes are isolated and not much heat will escape to the surroundings. Would an iron core be of any help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
i would think you'd want an iron core encircling one pipe so that you've built a transformer where the pipe loop makes a one turn secondary.

here's a product that uses the principle..
http://www.timken.com/en-us/product...tools/installation/Pages/InductionHeater.aspx

After a piece of basic math, I also came to that conclusion. The core increase the flux by several magnitudes. I need to make a low price (=home made) device. I'll check if my car battery charger have a useful core.

Why not just use an electrical pipe thawing device?

http://www.pipethaw.com/index.html

Hook it up to a thermostat and it will come on when the temp gets low enough to cause freezing, and turn off when it gets warmer.

Are these pipes located in the living space? Where I live, you cannot by law run plumbing along an external wall for this very reason. Thawing is addressing the symptom. I suggest addressing the problem. If the issue is prolonged periods of vacancy, maybe repiping with purge valves would work better. Empty pipes don't freeze.

1. How does induction heating work?

Induction heating works by using an alternating magnetic field to create an electric current in a conductive material, such as metal. This current generates heat, which can be used to heat up the material.

2. Can induction heating be used to thaw frozen water pipes?

Yes, induction heating can be used to thaw frozen water pipes. By wrapping the frozen pipes with an induction coil and passing an alternating current through it, the heat generated can melt the ice and thaw the pipes.

3. Is induction heating safe for thawing frozen water pipes?

Yes, induction heating is generally considered safe for thawing frozen water pipes. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and use the equipment correctly to avoid any accidents or injuries.

4. How long does it take to thaw frozen water pipes using induction heating?

The time it takes to thaw frozen water pipes using induction heating will depend on various factors such as the thickness of the ice, the type of material the pipes are made of, and the power of the induction heater. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using induction heating for thawing frozen water pipes?

One potential drawback of using induction heating for thawing frozen water pipes is that it may not be effective for pipes that are located in hard-to-reach or confined spaces. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of pipes, such as plastic pipes, as the heat generated can cause damage. It is important to assess the situation and use caution when using induction heating for thawing frozen water pipes.