Heisenberg's 1927 paper on uncertainty

In summary, the conversation is about the search for an online English translation of Heisenberg's paper on uncertainty, "über den anschaulichen Inhalt der quantentheoretischen Kinematik und Mechanik" Z. für Phys. 43, 1927. The speaker has not been able to find it and mentions a book edited by Wheeler and Zurek that contains the translation but is not available online. They also mention the possibility of finding it in the 10 volumes of "Heisenberg Gesammelte Werke" but are unsure if they have all been translated into English.
Zorba
Does anyone know if there is an online english translation of Heisenberg's paper on uncertainty

"über den anschaulichen Inhalt der quantentheoretischen Kinematik und Mechanik" Z. für Phys. 43, 1927.

I haven't been able to find it so far, all I can find is one's in German...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in Quantum Theory and Measurement ed Wheeler and Zurek, try google.

Zorba said:
Does anyone know if there is an online english translation of Heisenberg's paper on uncertainty

"über den anschaulichen Inhalt der quantentheoretischen Kinematik und Mechanik" Z. für Phys. 43, 1927.

I haven't been able to find it so far, all I can find is one's in German...

An English translation is in ''Quantum theory and measurement'' edited by Wheeler and Zurek - not online, though.

dextercioby said:
If it's not contained in this book,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486618811/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I don't know where else you can find it.

I don't know if the 10 volumes of <Heisenberg Gesammelte Werke> have been all translated into English.
OFF TOPIC.

I'm thrilled to see you back dextercioby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Heisenberg's 1927 paper on uncertainty

1. What is Heisenberg's 1927 paper on uncertainty?

Heisenberg's 1927 paper on uncertainty, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

2. Why is Heisenberg's 1927 paper important?

Heisenberg's 1927 paper on uncertainty revolutionized the field of quantum mechanics and had a major impact on our understanding of the physical world. It introduced the concept of uncertainty and showed that there are inherent limitations to our ability to measure certain properties of subatomic particles.

3. How did Heisenberg come up with the uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle was a result of his work on developing a mathematical framework for quantum mechanics. He realized that the act of measuring a particle's position accurately would require the use of high-energy particles, which in turn would cause the particle's momentum to change. This led him to conclude that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can measure certain properties of particles.

4. What are the practical implications of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle has many practical implications, especially in the field of quantum computing and technology. It has been used to develop new technologies such as electron microscopes and MRI machines. It also has implications for cryptography and communication, as it allows for the secure transmission of information through quantum encryption.

5. Is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle still relevant today?

Yes, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is still a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It continues to be a subject of study and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It also has implications in other areas of physics, such as black hole mechanics and cosmology.