Helix Formation Simulation: A Materials Science Perspective

In summary, the speaker is writing a computer simulation of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. They are seeking input from materials science experts and are discussing the effects of gravity on the bending of the thread and how to keep it consistent as the thread grows in length and changes position. They also mention the use of a stiffer, more pliable material for the thread and the potential for a gravity effect in their simulation. This is all part of their simulation of the beginning of the universe.
Mammo
I'm currently writing a computer simulation (in Java) of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. The analogy I use is to imagine a piece of thread held between two fingers and left to hang via gravity. When the thread is spun by rolling one finger against the other, the thread will itself rotate. But because the force is only applied at one end, there is a delay in the time the force reaches the free end of the thread. This will result in a twisting effect and a 'wobbling' effect. It is this action which I wish to recreate in the formation of a helix. Does anyone understand what I am talking about? It's the fundamental modelling of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. I need help. It sounds easy in practice, but tricky when you try to write a computer program.

I come from an astronomy/computing background, and would appreciate the input from materials science people.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mammo said:
I'm currently writing a computer simulation (in Java) of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. The analogy I use is to imagine a piece of thread held between two fingers and left to hang via gravity. When the thread is spun by rolling one finger against the other, the thread will itself rotate. But because the force is only applied at one end, there is a delay in the time the force reaches the free end of the thread. This will result in a twisting effect and a 'wobbling' effect. It is this action which I wish to recreate in the formation of a helix. Does anyone understand what I am talking about? It's the fundamental modelling of the formation of a helix from a spinning thread. I need help. It sounds easy in practice, but tricky when you try to write a computer program.

I come from an astronomy/computing background, and would appreciate the input from materials science people.
How would you keep the effect of gravity on the bending of the thread consistent as the thread grows in length and changes position?

What you're doing reminds me of the making of a spring on the TV show 'How It's Made'. They extrude the wire and deflect it physically as it emerges. The key difference between your method and their method is that theirs uses a wire material that is stiff enough to be immune to gravity (thus, its changing length and position has no effect on formation) and a bending force that well-exceeds gravity.

DaveC426913 said:
How would you keep the effect of gravity on the bending of the thread consistent as the thread grows in length and changes position?
Thanks Dave; The idea was that the thread hangs down vertically so that gravity can be ignored. The simulation is meant to represent the formation of (spinning) matter at the beginning of the universe. (!)
DaveC426913 said:
What you're doing reminds me of the making of a spring on the TV show 'How It's Made'. They extrude the wire and deflect it physically as it emerges. The key difference between your method and their method is that theirs uses a wire material that is stiff enough to be immune to gravity (thus, its changing length and position has no effect on formation) and a bending force that well-exceeds gravity.
Again, the material I'm considering doesn't necessarily have to have the same properties as a coton thread. It could be stiffer but still pliable enough to flex when rotated rapidly. The wire making you saw sounds similar, but perhaps not quite the same. The increasing length of the 'thread' would increase it's flexure and therefore enhance helix formation (I think). The resultant overall creation is envisaged to be spring-like. (The inclusion of a gravity effect later on will create an attractive force between two opposing helix formations, which eventually overcomes the force of creation and propells the two into one another, aka the big bang!)

Last edited:

Related to Helix Formation Simulation: A Materials Science Perspective

1. What is "Helix Formation Simulation"?

"Helix Formation Simulation" is a computer-based method used by materials scientists to study the formation and properties of helical structures in various materials. It involves creating a virtual model of a material and simulating its behavior under different conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and external forces.

2. Why is helix formation important in materials science?

Helical structures are found in many natural and synthetic materials, and understanding their formation and properties can provide valuable insights for developing new materials with specific properties. For example, helical structures are crucial in the function of proteins, DNA molecules, and fibers such as silk and collagen.

3. How does helix formation simulation work?

The simulation process involves creating a virtual model of a material using computer software, which takes into account the molecular structure, interactions between molecules, and external factors. The model is then "run" through various scenarios, and the resulting data is analyzed to understand the behavior and properties of the helical structures in the material.

4. What are some real-world applications of helix formation simulation?

Helix formation simulation has a wide range of applications in materials science, including the development of new materials for biomedical and industrial purposes. It is also used in the study of natural materials, such as DNA and proteins, to understand their structure and function. Additionally, it can aid in the design of new drug molecules and the development of advanced materials for energy storage and electronics.

5. What are the limitations of helix formation simulation?

Like any computer simulation, helix formation simulation has its limitations. It relies on accurate input data, such as molecular structure and interactions, which can be challenging to obtain for complex materials. Additionally, the simulation results may not always accurately reflect real-world behavior due to simplifications and assumptions made in the model. Therefore, it is essential to validate simulation results with experimental data to ensure their accuracy.