Is There a Link Between Schizophrenia and Physics Ability?

In summary, recent studies have shown a potential link between schizophrenia and physics ability. Researchers have found that individuals with schizophrenia tend to have above-average scores on tests of spatial and mathematical abilities, which are also skills necessary for success in physics. However, the exact nature of this relationship is still unclear and further research is needed to fully understand the connection between these two seemingly unrelated fields.
open minded
I'm a therapist who in the past worked primary with people who had a diagnosis of schizophrenia. I was thinking about the connection between people diagnosed with autism and math ability, and then thought about John Nash and his portrayal in "A Beautiful Mind." Some of the people I worked with were very drawn to thoughts about god and the universe and how it works. I came here because I'm suddenly curious about a connection between the process that is happening in the mind of someone with schizophrenia and an ability with physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please take some time to read our guidelines and be aware that we probably can't help you in your quest to understand any schizophrenia to physics connection as that is probably speculative and not mainstream science unless you can cite supporting peer reviewed papers on the subject.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Please take some time to read our guidelines and be aware that we probably can't help you in your quest to understand any schizophrenia to physics connection as that is probably speculative and not mainstream science unless you can cite supporting peer reviewed papers on the subject.
Thank you for pointing this out. I had read some threads about this connection already posted in the forum (I am not doing this for any scholarly research, just my own efforts to understand as a working therapist) and as someone interested in physics and MH just wanted to connect any dots for myself. I'll review the guidelines more carefully, I'm sorry if I made a misstep.

No, you didn't make a misstep, we just wanted to let you know of the potential for a misstep which can easily happen for these kinds of questions.

Likes Greg Bernhardt