Hello,This component has very little information on the internet.

In summary, the conversation discusses the details and operation of a component called a thyristor, which is made up of 4 layers or 3 junctions. There is a discussion about the use of transistors as an analogy to understand the component and questions about its characteristics and behavior. It is recommended to refer to textbooks for a deeper understanding of the device. The conversation ends with gratitude for the information shared.
Bassalisk
Hello,

This component has very little information on the internet. I learned the classic exploitation of it with 2 transistors(attached) and I get that. But i feel that is just an analogy.

Does anybody here at PF EE know the details behind this component like, explanation with junctions, which are forward biased, inverse biased etc. and all this put together, why there is a specific voltage when it starts to conduct. I mean it makes sense to me when you are talking about 2 transistors.
But in my opinion there are no 2 transistors there,just the effect is the same. Or is it in fact, literally 2 transistors in couple to produce this effect.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0700fb0878608383a19c9f0eb0138a72.jpg
    0700fb0878608383a19c9f0eb0138a72.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 420
Engineering news on Phys.org

It is actually 4 layers. The two transistors are pretty accurate but just eliminate the leads between the two transistors and you have the 4 layers I am referring to.

Averagesupernova said:
It is actually 4 layers. The two transistors are pretty accurate but just eliminate the leads between the two transistors and you have the 4 layers I am referring to.

I do not understand what are u trying to say. In picture there are in deed 4 layers.

So what's the problem? That's what I am saying. 4 layers...
-
Just take an NPN transistor and stick a P layer on top of the collector and you have it. Of course there is more to it in manufacture such as layer thickness, but that should be clear enough.
-
The junctions are biased just as they would be if there were two separate transistors. Try building one out of 2 discreet transistors and you may have a better understanding of it. Also, look up SCS.

Last edited:

Bassalisk said:
I do not understand what are u trying to say. In picture there are in deed 4 layers.
No, in the picture is two three layer devices with interconnecting wires between two of the layer. Not the same thing.

Having said that however the two transistor model of the SCR is reasonably good at explaining the most significant features of the device.

Averagesupernova said:
So what's the problem? That's what I am saying. 4 layers...

Well how do they work? From the characteristic curves of thyristor, they aren't trivial, and I couldn't interpret them just from looking at the layers. Generally they are explained with 2 transistors.

I've read somewhere an article that describes this effect but not with transistors. But this article was shallow too and they weren't very qualitative.

How does this effects occurs just by looking at the layers? What is happening?

Well when you are explaining them with transistors, you have to break them into to parts.

if it satisfies you:

[PLAIN]http://pokit.org/get/81c0c19a36b82454b42f3eae01522201.jpg

How does this work, without using transistor analogy.

There must be an explanation somewhere that describes this in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't really need to break them into two transistors to explain it. They are in fact two transistors but they are sharing layers with each other. Maybe if you look at it that way it will make sense.

There must be an explanation somewhere that describes this in detail.

Keeping up with you is quite an undertaking. I am still preparing some pages of explanation about other forms of diode so I will be brief here.

Instead of thinking about four layers, think about three junctions.

Counting from the anode calling them J1, J2, J3.

The device is forward biased by making the anode positive relative to the cathode.
This forward biases junctions J1 and J3 and reverse biases J2.

Thus J2 contols the device (blocks) until the forward voltage reaches the breakdown of this junction.
When this junction breaks down the total forward drop reduces suddenly to around 1 volt and a large current passes making the device a voltage operated switch.
Current injection at either cathode gate or anode gate will precipate this process.

Mathematical modelling is best caried out with the connected two transistor model - the second picture in Bob's Wikipedia reference, although they do not show the maths (There is about a page of it).

If you want to go into things things deeply you really should get a textbook, the one I believe I recommended before (Pierce) has about eight pages on these devices.

Studiot said:
Keeping up with you is quite an undertaking. I am still preparing some pages of explanation about other forms of diode so I will be brief here.

Instead of thinking about four layers, think about three junctions.

Counting from the anode calling them J1, J2, J3.

The device is forward biased by making the anode positive relative to the cathode.
This forward biases junctions J1 and J3 and reverse biases J2.

Thus J2 contols the device (blocks) until the forward voltage reaches the breakdown of this junction.
When this junction breaks down the total forward drop reduces suddenly to around 1 volt and a large current passes making the device a voltage operated switch.
Current injection at either cathode gate or anode gate will precipate this process.

Mathematical modelling is best caried out with the connected two transistor model - the second picture in Bob's Wikipedia reference, although they do not show the maths (There is about a page of it).

If you want to go into things things deeply you really should get a textbook, the one I believe I recommended before (Pierce) has about eight pages on these devices.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Thank you very much!

The properties, physics and design of semiconductor devices

Shive (Bell Telephone Labs)

Physics of Solid state Electronics

Shive

Semiconductor Junction Devices

Pierce (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)

Thank you. I am asking these kinds of questions because, I am having my final exam in 2 days. And my professor asks for a understanding of a component. I am not given that much material of all components.

I must know this because I got high exam marks on written test and now on the final exam, where you are being questioned by professor live, I will be probably asked some serious questions, because I did well on the written exam. I cannot be caught off guard.

Thank you all, especially you Studiot. Lifesaver.

Studiot said:

I got everything. Just one thing bothers me. When i reach the the reverse breakdown, by applying high voltage, shouldn't that voltage drop still be on that reversed junction even after the breakdown occurs? I mean I am concluding that directly from the characteristic curves of a normal diode. Yes a large current suddenly surges, but in the graph, voltage drop still stays the same...

I got everything. Just one thing bothers me. When i reach the the reverse breakdown, by applying high voltage, shouldn't that voltage drop still be on that reversed junction even after the breakdown occurs? I mean I am concluding that directly from the characteristic curves of a normal diode. Yes a large current suddenly surges, but in the graph, voltage drop still stays the same...

I'm not sure I understand the question.

We are talking about forward bias on the device as a whole. (Anode to Cathode)
This means forward bias on two junctions and reverse bias on one.

The reversed biased junction therefore acts to block current as the voltage is increased, it does not remain the same. So the device is not in conduction.

At some point the voltage is sufficient to breakdown this blocking junction and the device rapidly enters conduction. At the same time the voltage across the device falls rapidly to around 1 volt.

This is what happens when we use the anode - cathode voltage to switch the device (normally an SCS).

We can also precipitate a self latching switching by injecting current into one of the two inner layers via a gate connection. there are two possible gate connections known as the anode gate and the cathode gate. Only one will appear or be used in any particular device, making an SCR a three terminal device.

Last edited:

Studiot said:
I'm not sure I understand the question.

We are talking about forward bias on the device as a whole. (Anode to Cathode)
This means forward bias on two junctions and reverse bias on one.

The reversed biased junction therefore acts to block current as the voltage is increased, it does not remain the same. So the device is not in conduction.

At some point the voltage is sufficient to breakdown this blocking junction and the device rapidly enters conduction. At the same time the voltage across the device falls rapidly to around 1 volt.

This is what happens when we use the anode - cathode voltage to switch the device (normally an SCS).

We can also precipitate a self latching switching by injecting current into one of the two inner layers via a gate connection. there are two possible gate connections known as the anode gate and the cathode gate. Only one will appear or be used in any particular device, making an SCR a three terminal device.

Thank you, this clear things up. Going back to Zener thread

You could give these guys a shout, they seem to know a bit about http://www.mitsco.co.uk" .

SMaC said:
You could give these guys a shout, they seem to know a bit about http://www.mitsco.co.uk" .

Thank you for you link, but I finished my exams. With flying colors too! :)

Aceing exams is a great feeling! Well done..

but I finished my exams. With flying colors too! :)

Congratulations

Studiot said:
Congratulations

Yea I have problems with math though. We are asked to learn a lot in very short period. But electronics and physics are going like butter ^^ i aced thyristors when professor asked me about it :D

1. What is the purpose of this component?

The purpose of this component may vary depending on its context and use. It could be a software component, a hardware component, or a component of a larger system. Without more information, it is difficult to determine its specific purpose.

2. Can you provide more details on this component?

Unfortunately, since there is very little information available on the internet about this component, it is difficult to provide more details. It would be helpful to know what specific information you are looking for in order to provide a more comprehensive answer.

3. Is this component new or has it been around for a while?

Without more context, it is impossible to determine the age of this component. It could be a recently developed component or it could have been in use for many years. More information is needed to answer this question accurately.

4. Are there any known issues or problems with this component?

Since there is limited information available, it is difficult to determine if there are any known issues or problems with this component. It is always best to consult the manufacturer or developer for any known issues or troubleshooting tips.

5. Where can I find more information about this component?

As previously mentioned, there is not much information available on the internet about this component. It may be helpful to reach out to the manufacturer or developer directly for more information. You can also try searching for specific keywords related to the component to see if any additional information can be found.