Helmholtz equation and Multislice approach

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with the proof of an equation in microscopy and using the Helmholtz equation to solve it. The Wikipedia page for multislice is referenced, where the Schrödinger equation for an electron passing through a medium is discussed. The theory section includes an equation with a convolution that can be simplified by removing the Fresnel scattering. In a multislice approach, where the potential is considered constant in each slice, the solution is given by a specific equation. The speaker is unsure how this solution can be derived from the original equation and is seeking help.
eoghan
Hi there!
I have a problem about the proof of an equation in microscopy. I think this is the right section because it is about solving the Helmholtz equation.

I'm looking to Wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multislice
where they try to solve the Schrödinger equation for an electron passing through a medium.
In the theory section they write
[tex]\phi(\vec r) = 1-i\frac{\pi}{E\lambda}\int\int_{z'=-\infty}^{z'=z}V(\vec X', z')\phi(\vec X', z')\frac{1}{i\lambda(z-z')}\exp\left(ik\frac{|\vec X-\vec X'|^2}{2(z-z')}\right)d\vec X' dz'[/tex]

At the end, removing the convolution with the Fresnel propagator (i.e. discarding the Fresnel scattering) they say that in a multislice approach (which I think that mathematically is a sort of successive approximations method) where in every slice I consider V to be constant (the slices are on the z axis), the solution is
[tex]\phi(\vec X, z_{n+1})=\phi(\vec X, z_n)\exp\left(-i\sigma\int _{z_n}^{z_{n+1}}V(\vec X, z')\right)dz'[/tex]

I don't understand how this solution can be derived from the first equation. I think is something like the Dyson series, but I cannot decouple the potential V from the function phi.
Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a medium. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to study the propagation of electromagnetic, acoustic, and other types of waves.

2. What is the Multislice approach?

The multislice approach is a computational technique used to solve the Helmholtz equation in layered media. It involves dividing the medium into thin slices and calculating the wave propagation through each slice, taking into account the interactions between neighboring slices.

3. How is the Helmholtz equation solved using the Multislice approach?

In the Multislice approach, the Helmholtz equation is solved iteratively, with each iteration accounting for the wave propagation through one slice of the medium. The results from each iteration are then combined to obtain a solution for the entire medium.

4. What are the advantages of using the Multislice approach?

The Multislice approach allows for the accurate simulation of wave propagation in complex layered media, which may not be possible using other methods. It also allows for the easy incorporation of different boundary conditions and material properties, making it a versatile tool for studying various systems.

5. In what applications is the Helmholtz equation and Multislice approach commonly used?

The Helmholtz equation and Multislice approach are commonly used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics to study wave propagation in various media. They are also used in the design and analysis of optical and acoustic devices, such as lenses, waveguides, and resonators.