What Is the Electric Field Strength in a Geiger Counter?

• Thread starter Kudo Shinichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem on electricity involving a Geiger counter and the calculation of electric field strength at the surface of a wire and cylinder. The formula used is v=-E*d, with v representing voltage, E representing electric field, and d representing the distance between the charges. The diameter of both the wire and cylinder are given, but the length is unknown. However, it is determined that the length does not affect the calculation and the distance is simply the diameter of the cylinder minus the diameter of the wire. This distance is then divided by the voltage to obtain the electric field strength.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!A problem on electricity?

Homework Statement

A Geiger counter consists of a metal cylinder 2.0 cm in diameter along whose axis is stetched a wire 0.013 cm in diameter. If 850 volts are supplied between them, what is the electric field strength at the surface of a) the wire and b) the cylinder?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the formula v=-E*d
v=voltage
E=electric field
d= distance between the charges where we are looking for potential difference
since I am given v
so, 850=-E*d
the problem also provides the diameter for both cylinder and wire, I can use them to get the length if I know either the area or volume for both of them. However, I don't, so is there any other way to get the length for both objects to solve for electric field?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org

The field is just between the inside wire and the outside cylinder - the length doesn't matter, it shoudl be the same field at any point along their length.

Whats the distance between the wires?

mgb_phys said:
The field is just between the inside wire and the outside cylinder - the length doesn't matter, it shoudl be the same field at any point along their length.

Whats the distance between the wires?

Sorry, I don't know, I have typed everything on the question
That is why I want to solve for the length of the wire and the cylinder so i can use that as distance(I am not really sure whether it's right or not...)
Then if I don't know the distance between the wires is there any other method to solve the problem?

A Geiger counter is a tube (a hollow cylinder) with a wire down the middle along the axis.
So it's just the distance from the surface of the wire own the middle to the outside tube.

mgb_phys said:
A Geiger counter is a tube (a hollow cylinder) with a wire down the middle along the axis.
So it's just the distance from the surface of the wire own the middle to the outside tube.

Then the distance is just the diameter of the cylinder minus the diameter of the wire 2-0.013=1.987
and divide the distance with voltage to get electric field

yes,
Roughly it's just the radius of the outer cylinder

mgb_phys said:
yes,
Roughly it's just the radius of the outer cylinder

Therefore, the distance is 1-0.013
Sorry, I don't quite get it, why is it the distance we are looking for? Can you expain it briefly. Thank you

Electric field is voltage/distance = V/m

FAQ: What Is the Electric Field Strength in a Geiger Counter?

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It is used to power many devices and is essential for modern life.

2. What are the different types of electricity?

The two main types of electricity are direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction, while AC alternates direction. There are also other forms of electricity such as static electricity and renewable energy sources like solar and wind power.

3. How is electricity generated?

Electricity is generated through the conversion of different sources of energy such as coal, natural gas, nuclear power, and renewable sources like wind and water. These sources create motion, which is then converted into electrical energy.

4. What are the main components of an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit consists of three main components - a power source (such as a battery or generator), a load (such as a light bulb or motor), and wires to connect them. These components work together to allow the flow of electricity through the circuit.

5. How can I troubleshoot common electrical problems?

Some common electrical problems include blown fuses, tripped circuit breakers, and faulty wiring. To troubleshoot these issues, it is important to first turn off the power and then check for any visible damage or loose connections. If the problem persists, it is best to consult a professional electrician for further assistance.

Back