Help! Best Man in a Panic: Wedding in 48h & No Speech Prepared

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice for a wedding speech as he is the best man in his brother's wedding. However, due to the timing of the wedding falling on the same week as his oral exams, he was not able to prepare for the toast until after the exams were over. He is looking for tips on what to include in the speech, the ideal length, and any other advice. He is also open to using humor in his speech and is seeking guidance on how to incorporate it. Some suggestions include talking about the couple's positive qualities, sharing stories and humorous memories, and toasting to a long and happy marriage. The speaker can also use resources such as websites for examples and inspiration for his speech.
gravenewworld
and this is for my brother's wedding. Unfortunately his wedding fell on the same exact week I had to take my oral exams which I was studying for over a month for/ 12+ hours per day (so I wasn't thinking about a toast at all until they were over).

Let's see if PF can help me out with this in the next 36 hours (12 h to practice):

-what do you like to hear about in a wedding speech??
-what was the worst speech you heard at a wedding?
-what did the best speech you heard at a wedding have in it?
-how long should this be?
-other tips?This is literally one of the worst weeks of my entire life in terms of time commitments.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also best man in my brothers wedding in a few months. I hope people can offer some good advice!

Likes Medicol
dipole said:
I'm also best man in my brothers wedding in a few months. I hope people can offer some good advice!
:D I am glad to know that.

Do you do things differently where you live? I've been the best man at 3 weddings, and the only speaking duty is making the toast to the maid/matron of honour and the bridesmaids.
The bride's uncle or close older family friend delivers the actual "speech".

Likes Medicol
gravenewworld said:
and this is for my brother's wedding. Unfortunately his wedding fell on the same exact week I had to take my oral exams which I was studying for over a month for/ 12+ hours per day (so I wasn't thinking about a toast at all until they were over).

Let's see if PF can help me out with this in the next 36 hours (12 h to practice):

-what do you like to hear about in a wedding speech??
-what was the worst speech you heard at a wedding?
-what did the best speech you heard at a wedding have in it?
-how long should this be?
-other tips?This is literally one of the worst weeks of my entire life in terms of time commitments.
Keep it short - a few to 5 minutes. Make it positive and upbeat about the couple.

I was best man for a close friend, who I had known for years. I had gotten to know the bride over a period of months, and I talked a bit about knowing my friend and what he saw in his new wife, and what she saw in him, and what I saw in the both of them as individuals and as a couple (they both had good sense of humor). I ended with a blessing and best wishes for a long future together.

Since you are brothers, reflect on what you know about him, and what you hope for him in the marriage. If you know about the bride, share some thoughts on her, and what you hope for her. Welcome her to the family, and also, hopefully express some thoughts on getting to know her family. In theory, both families are supportive of the union. Conclude with blessings and best wishes for a long and happy marriage and family.

You can have notes. It's not optimal, but a lot better than melting down awkwardly.

As Astro said, be positive, tell a couple stories and tell them what the couple means to you.

Likes Medicol
Don't forget to include some humorous remembrances of your brother especially things his wife might like to know about.

You could also say something about how different your brother is now, how he's changed since he met her and decided to get married.

Try not to get anyone in too much trouble.

Toast to a long, prosperous, lasting and loving marriage.

You know, learning to be a comedian is sometimes really good. If you can make everyone laugh in the wedding, it's sweet of you.

1. How can I prepare a best man speech in just 48 hours?

Preparing a best man speech in just 48 hours can be challenging, but it is not impossible. Start by brainstorming some memorable moments or stories about the groom that you can include in your speech. Then, organize your thoughts and create a rough outline. Practice delivering your speech multiple times to ensure you are comfortable with the flow and timing. Remember to keep it sincere and heartfelt, and don't be afraid to inject some humor.

2. What should I include in a best man speech?

A best man speech should include a brief introduction, where you introduce yourself and your relationship with the groom. Then, you can share some funny or memorable stories about the groom, highlight his positive qualities, and offer some words of advice or well-wishes for the couple. It's also a good idea to thank the hosts and acknowledge the other members of the wedding party.

3. How long should a best man speech be?

A best man speech should typically last around 5 minutes. It's important to keep it concise and engaging, without dragging on for too long. This will ensure that the guests stay interested and the focus remains on the couple.

4. What if I am nervous about giving a best man speech?

It is completely normal to feel nervous about giving a best man speech, especially if you are not used to public speaking. Some tips to overcome nerves include practicing your speech beforehand, taking deep breaths, and focusing on speaking slowly and clearly. You can also try picturing the groom as a close friend and speaking directly to him.

5. Should I include any inside jokes in my best man speech?

Including inside jokes in a best man speech can be a fun way to add humor and personalize your speech. However, make sure that the jokes are appropriate and won't make anyone feel uncomfortable. It's also a good idea to explain the inside jokes to the rest of the audience so they can understand and appreciate them.