Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: HELP! Calculate stress applied to slip direction

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    Hi All,
    Im having some trouble in one of my classes and cant figure out how to do the following:

If a single crystal of an FCC metal yields with an applied load of 1MPa in the [1 -1 2] direction, at what stress would the same metal yield if the load were applied in the [0 1 4] direction. The problem can be solved by using (1 1 1) as the slip plane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im pretty sure this class is going to kill me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi akhanijow, welcome to PF. Do you know how to calculate the resolved stress on a certain plane due to a load on another plane? (This is sometimes called the Schmidt factor.)

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    Hi, He never really tought us that in class. He showed us:

(u1u2*v1v2*w1w) / [sqrt(((u1)^2+(v1)^2+(w1)^2) * ((u2)^2+(v2)^2+(w2)^2)

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your textbook? Please read the section on critical resolved shear stress (on a single crystal).

Henceforth, use the Homework & Coursework section of the forums (see my signature) for questions like this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook