1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Calculate stress applied to slip direction

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    Hi All,
    Im having some trouble in one of my classes and cant figure out how to do the following:

If a single crystal of an FCC metal yields with an applied load of 1MPa in the [1 -1 2] direction, at what stress would the same metal yield if the load were applied in the [0 1 4] direction. The problem can be solved by using (1 1 1) as the slip plane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im pretty sure this class is going to kill me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi akhanijow, welcome to PF. Do you know how to calculate the resolved stress on a certain plane due to a load on another plane? (This is sometimes called the Schmidt factor.)

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    Hi, He never really tought us that in class. He showed us:

(u1u2*v1v2*w1w) / [sqrt(((u1)^2+(v1)^2+(w1)^2) * ((u2)^2+(v2)^2+(w2)^2)

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your textbook? Please read the section on critical resolved shear stress (on a single crystal).

Henceforth, use the Homework & Coursework section of the forums (see my signature) for questions like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook