How to Calculate Stresses and Deflections in a Complicated Lever System

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving lifting equipment and the need for assistance in calculating maximum deflection, direct and shear stresses. The process for calculating stresses involves treating the body as rigid and calculating the angular acceleration, creating an imaginary cut through the body and solving equations of motion to determine forces on the cut face. The diagram used to illustrate the problem may not be in equilibrium and may need to be adjusted for accurate calculations.
Buns_of_Steel
Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first post so apologies if its in the wrong location or anything.

My post is not in regards to a direct question as such but i am more looking for general advice and guidance on how to tackle a problem. I am working on a project that involves lifting equipment to pick up an object.

One of the components is a clamping arm with a single pivot point shown below.
Image_zpsp5mxzqrc.png

The arm is constant width and constant thickness and the shape is approximately what is shown ie the point load F will cause counter clockwise rotation of the lever arm about point A.

What i need assistance with is how calculate the maximum deflection, maximum direct and shear stresses and what the relevant equations are. How do i go about breaking the problem down into manageable chunks?

Dimensions and forces are not important as it is the principles of how to calculate stresses etc which i am looking for.

Any help would be great. Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The general process for calculating stresses is along these lines:
1, Treating the whole body as rigid, calculate the angular acceleration for the body;
2. Next, create an imaginary cut through the body at some point;
3. For the body above (or below, either one) the cut, write the equations of motion. Remember that you now know the angular acceleration from step 1;
4. Solve the equations of motion (step 3) for the forces on the cut face. In general, these will be an axial force, a shear force, and a bending moment;
5. Apply the standard stress formulas to the cut section:
primary normal stress = P/A
shear stress = Fshear/A
bending stress = Mc/I
6. Combine the stresses from 5 to get max and min stress on the section.
7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 at every section of interest.

Thanks OldEngr63,

How does calculating the angular acceleration help me resolve the equations of motion?

Also say for example i take a cut through the vertical part of the lever and look at the bottom L section, if i know the applied force F how would i go about calculating forces on the cut face?

Cheers

In step 3 above, I told you to write the equations of motion for the section on one side of the cut. The angular acceleration of the body appears in the moment equation. Since the angular acceleration of a part of the body is the same as the angular acceleration of the entire body, this term is known. That is why it is useful to have from step 1.

If you take a cut through the vertical section (or anywhere else), you have to write the equations of motion for the body on one side of the cut. These equations will include the forces acting on the cut, and can be solved for them.

The diagram is not in equilibrium, which is why the first respondent thinks there could be angular acceleration. But, given the questions that follow, the diagram is probably incorrect in concept. For static equilibrium, the applied force and the reaction should lie in the same line. So the lever needs to rotate a bit anticlockwise until the forces line up. Then draw bending, shear and normal force diagrams. the rest follows.

pongo38, your comments may, or may not, be correct. Stresses and deflections exist within an accelerating body just as well as within on at equilibrium. I assumed that the OP knew what his system was when he asked the questions; you are assuming that he does not understand his system. Either of us could be correct.

1. How does a lever work?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that is supported at a fixed point, called the fulcrum. By applying force at one end of the lever, known as the effort, a load can be moved at the other end of the lever. The amount of force needed to move the load is determined by the length of the lever arms and their distances from the fulcrum.

2. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of the lever, states that for a lever to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is the basis for understanding the behavior of complicated levers.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a lever?

The mechanical advantage of a lever is the ratio of the load force to the effort force. It can be calculated by dividing the length of the effort arm by the length of the load arm. A lever with a mechanical advantage greater than 1 provides a force advantage, while a mechanical advantage less than 1 provides a distance advantage.

4. What is the difference between first, second, and third class levers?

First class levers have the fulcrum located between the effort and load, second class levers have the load between the effort and fulcrum, and third class levers have the effort between the load and fulcrum. These different configurations affect the mechanical advantage and direction of force in the lever system.

5. How can you optimize the performance of a complicated lever?

The performance of a lever can be optimized by adjusting the length and position of the lever arms and the location of the fulcrum. By finding the right balance of these factors, the mechanical advantage and efficiency of the lever can be maximized for a specific task or load. Additionally, using materials with high strength and low weight can also improve the performance of a lever.