Ultrafast bridge rectifier module question

In summary, the speaker is using a 50kHz square wave from a smps transformer and is having trouble attaching the individual MUR 1620 fast diodes to a heatsink. They are looking for a diode bridge module similar to those used for mains 50Hz to use for high frequency. They need a max current rating of 20-30 amps and 400V peak reverse voltage. They have not been able to find a 4 diode high speed and high current package. The possible solutions are using a centre-tapped secondary or using dual diodes, MUR1605CT common cathode, with MUR1620CTR common anode.
Robertphysics
Hi , I have a 50khz square wave from a smps transformer and currently I am using MUR 1620 fast diodes but since they come in individual trasistor type TO220 type packages I have some problems with attaching them properly to heatsink , does anyone know are there any nice diode bridge modules like those that come for mains 50hz that could be used for high frequency ?

I want something like in the attached picture

Attachments

• ^363DC0C08D77584A314A70C16786ADEA99CF3FEE0D17826563^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    ^363DC0C08D77584A314A70C16786ADEA99CF3FEE0D17826563^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 536
Engineering news on Phys.org
Robertphysics said:
Hi , I have a 50khz square wave from a smps transformer and currently I am using MUR 1620 fast diodes but since they come in individual trasistor type TO220 type packages I have some problems with attaching them properly to heatsink , does anyone know are there any nice diode bridge modules like those that come for mains 50hz that could be used for high frequency ?
+
what max current rating do you need ( as in maximum current likely to be drawn) ?

Robertphysics said:
TO220 type packages I have some problems with attaching them properly to heatsink
Can you say more about this? TO-220 packages usually attach well to heatsinks. If you are having isolation problems and want to use a single heatsink, are you familiar with insulating washers and heatsink grease?

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mrJXeTm3JsEf-8CXEAaGfPg.jpg
mrJXeTm3JsEf-8CXEAaGfPg.jpg

No it's ok to 220does attach ok to heatsinks it's just that the smps is custom built and I didin't have good neough place for the many required fast rectifier diodes , I did manage to get them in but if I could have a solid square 4 pin bridge like I have for mains that would be much better for me and much easier to attach thermally , my average need is about 400v peak reverse voltage and about 20/30 amps of forward current that would be enough probably with reserve
so I was just wondering whether such things exist like fast diode rectifier bridges for square wave rectification
or are there only individual to220 packages that are then arranged by 4 in a bridge?

What frequency do you intend to run this at? You say square wave. How fast do your edges need to be?

BoB

Edit: "50kHz" Oops i missed the "k"

Last edited:
Robertphysics said:
Hi , I have a 50khz square wave from a smps transformer

I'm assuming that the secondary of the transformer isn't. but if you has a centre-tapped secondary then you could use just one of these

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2045664.pdf?_ga=1.187482731.272050964.1481326413

and have full wave rectification ... substantially less room needed than a 4 diode bridge package or 4 individual diodes as you originally contemplated

I have searched a couple of the major component suppliers and have not been able find a 4 diode high speed and high current packageDave

Rather than using 4x MUR1620 single fast recovery diode.
Use dual diodes, MUR1605CT common cathode, with MUR1620CTR common anode.

Baluncore said:
Rather than using 4x MUR1620 single fast recovery diode.
Use dual diodes, MUR1605CT common cathode, with MUR1620CTR common anode.

yes, that is the other way I was going to suggest if the secondary winding isn't centre-tapped

1. What is an ultrafast bridge rectifier module?

An ultrafast bridge rectifier module is an electronic device used to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) by using diodes. It is designed to handle high frequency signals and has a fast switching speed, making it suitable for applications requiring high efficiency and low power loss.

2. How does an ultrafast bridge rectifier module work?

An ultrafast bridge rectifier module consists of four diodes arranged in a specific configuration to convert AC to DC. When the AC voltage is applied, two of the diodes conduct during the positive half cycle while the other two conduct during the negative half cycle, allowing the current to flow in one direction and creating a pulsating DC output.

3. What are the advantages of using an ultrafast bridge rectifier module?

Ultrafast bridge rectifier modules have a high efficiency and low power loss, making them suitable for applications requiring high frequency signals. They also have a small form factor, making them ideal for space-constrained applications. Additionally, they have a fast switching speed, which reduces the amount of heat generated and increases the overall reliability of the device.

4. What are the common applications of an ultrafast bridge rectifier module?

Ultrafast bridge rectifier modules are commonly used in switch-mode power supplies, motor drives, and other high frequency applications. They are also used in communication equipment, such as routers and modems, to convert AC power into DC power for electronic components.

5. Are there any limitations to using an ultrafast bridge rectifier module?

One limitation of using an ultrafast bridge rectifier module is that it may not be suitable for high voltage applications as it has a lower voltage rating compared to other rectifier modules. Additionally, these modules may generate higher levels of electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to their fast switching speeds, which may require additional shielding or filtering in some applications.