Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultrafast bridge rectifier module question

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1
    Hi , I have a 50khz square wave from a smps transformer and currently I am using MUR 1620 fast diodes but since they come in individual trasistor type TO220 type packages I have some problems with attaching them properly to heatsink , does anyone know are there any nice diode bridge modules like those that come for mains 50hz that could be used for high frequency ?

I want something like in the attached picture

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

+
    what max current rating do you need ( as in maximum current likely to be drawn) ?

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you say more about this? TO-220 packages usually attach well to heatsinks. If you are having isolation problems and want to use a single heatsink, are you familiar with insulating washers and heatsink grease?

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mrJXeTm3JsEf-8CXEAaGfPg.jpg
    mrJXeTm3JsEf-8CXEAaGfPg.jpg

5. Dec 9, 2016 #4
    No it's ok to 220does attach ok to heatsinks it's just that the smps is custom built and I didin't have good neough place for the many required fast rectifier diodes , I did manage to get them in but if I could have a solid square 4 pin bridge like I have for mains that would be much better for me and much easier to attach thermally , my average need is about 400v peak reverse voltage and about 20/30 amps of forward current that would be enough probably with reserve
    so I was just wondering whether such things exist like fast diode rectifier bridges for square wave rectification
    or are there only individual to220 packages that are then arranged by 4 in a bridge?

6. Dec 9, 2016 #5

rbelli1

Gold Member

What frequency do you intend to run this at? You say square wave. How fast do your edges need to be?

BoB

Edit: "50kHz" Oops i missed the "k"

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. Dec 9, 2016 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm assuming that the secondary of the transformer isn't. but if you has a centre-tapped secondary then you could use just one of these

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2045664.pdf?_ga=1.187482731.272050964.1481326413

and have full wave rectification .... substantially less room needed than a 4 diode bridge package or 4 individual diodes as you originally contemplated

I have searched a couple of the major component suppliers and have not been able find a 4 diode high speed and high current package

Dave

8. Dec 9, 2016 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Rather than using 4x MUR1620 single fast recovery diode.
    Use dual diodes, MUR1605CT common cathode, with MUR1620CTR common anode.

9. Dec 9, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, that is the other way I was going to suggest if the secondary winding isn't centre-tapped

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted