1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding EE/Electric Circuit books

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    I'm not sure if this post is in the right thread.

Well I've decided to change majors from Physics to EE, now I have gotten really interested in circuits but the only books that I can find at my library are the one by Hayt, and I'm currently reading Nilsson :s I've heard both of them aren't so good.

So does anyone know of a good intro to electric circuit book? I know Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku is one of the best. But I can't find any solution manual for it. I want the solution manual because the at my college we will never be using that book, I believe Circuits I/II uses Hayt.

I'd really appreciate any help finding a great book about circuits that I can keep as reference.

Also if there are any other books every EE SHOULD have?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

Hambley's Electrical Engineering: Principles and applications aren't too bad at all
    other Hambley's books in electronics are fairly good too.

4. Apr 28, 2007 #3
    I just found the solution manual for Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku, for the 2nd edition.
    Just that it's a pdf and I think it's an illegally obtained copy of the teacher's Solution Manual.

Also, would these books be ok for someone who has no background on circuits?
    Today I got a vague idea what a dependent/independent current/voltage source was :s

5. Apr 28, 2007 #4
  6. Apr 28, 2007 #5
    thanks for those online books, they seem really helpful, but I really want book so I can study away from a computer.

7. Apr 28, 2007 #6
  8. Apr 28, 2007 #7
    Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander & Sadiku is a fairly standard textbook for basic circuit theory. I also highly recommend The Art of Electronics by Horowitz & Hill, which covers practical circuit design in addition to circuit theory.

9. Apr 28, 2007 #8
    Is AoE good for someone starting to learn circuits? I read some reviews it seems more like a review/reference book.

I'm going to go to B&N tomorrow and see what editions of Fundamentals of Electric Circuits they have. As well as a book about PSPICE.

10. Apr 28, 2007 #9
    no but thats just my opinion, you need a basic electronics book before hand as well as a circuits fundamentals book that deals with mostly rcl circuits.

11. Apr 28, 2007 #10
    Woops sorry didn't read your post right, just woke up.

Thanks for the help I'll stick to Alexander for now and get AoE once I think I understand Alexander fairly well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  12. Apr 28, 2007 #11
    bob: Don't worry about a solutions manual, just go ahead and download pspice, or use the software included in Alexander's cd to check your answers. I found the best way to study a book though, is getting other people interested in it and comparing your solutions with their's. Hope that helps.

I own Alexander for circuit analysis, Schilling for electronic circuits and Wakerly for for digital circuits and design. I think you should give those a look, they're really helpful.
    If you can get your hands on REALLY REALLY old books, and if you get a kick from learning theoretical stuff, try to find "Tensor Analysis of Networks" by Gabriel Kron. You should be able to read it after finishing up with Alexander. I tell you though, its REALLY old and hard to find.

13. Apr 28, 2007 #12
    Thanks for the info, I just bought the 2nd edition brand new from Amazon.com
    I'll be sure to figure out how to use pspice when I get the book ^.^

Tensor Analysis of Networks (General Electric Series) by Gabriel Kron (Hardcover - 1949)
    That one? I found 2 used copies on amazon.com 1 for 250ish another for 60ish :s

Should I buy it? I can't find it on ebay/half.com o.o

14. May 2, 2007 #13
    Yep, that one. It teaches you tensor notation and then uses it to do some circuit analysis. It's not something you SHOULD know, merely a curiosity you might say. At those prices I wouldnt buy it, I found mine in a pawn shop for about 5 bucks :biggrin:

15. May 2, 2007 #14
    Kwel thanks I'll buy it soon and be sure to read it following Alexander

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?