Help finding length of perpendiculars in a box of known dimension

In summary, the goal is to find the distance of each of 4 lines perpendicular to one of 4 walls connected to a point within a box of known dimension. The distance from the center of each wall to the point of interest is known, but not the angle this line makes relative to the wall. The solution involves using the coordinates of the point of interest and the dimensions of the square box to create a system of equations, with the unknowns being x and y. Solving for x and y will provide the necessary information to determine the distance to the walls.
ttk
For a research problem, I'd like a way to find the distance of each of 4 lines perpendicular to one of 4 walls connected to a point that is within a box of known dimension. I know the distance from the center of each wall to the point of interest (C1 to C4), but I do not know the angle this line makes relative to the wall (usually it will not be perpendicular). I'm attaching an image of the problem. C1 to C4 are known, as is the dimension of the square box. What I want to know is B1 to B4. My overall goal is to understand the distance of the point of interest (which could be anywhere within the box) from the nearest wall along a perpendicular to that wall (it's closest distance from the wall).

View attachment 5915

Attachments

• JotNot_08-24-2016.pdf
    134 KB · Views: 49
Mathematics news on Phys.org
ttk said:
For a research problem, I'd like a way to find the distance of each of 4 lines perpendicular to one of 4 walls connected to a point that is within a box of known dimension. I know the distance from the center of each wall to the point of interest (C1 to C4), but I do not know the angle this line makes relative to the wall (usually it will not be perpendicular). I'm attaching an image of the problem. C1 to C4 are known, as is the dimension of the square box. What I want to know is B1 to B4. My overall goal is to understand the distance of the point of interest (which could be anywhere within the box) from the nearest wall along a perpendicular to that wall (it's closest distance from the wall).

Hey ttk! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Let's pick the center of the square to be our origin.
And let's pick the coordinates of the point of interest to be $(x,y)$.
Oh, we already had an $x$ for the side of the square. :eek:
Well, let's discard that one, and let's pick $h$ to be half the side of the square, if you don't mind.
I just like $x$ and $y$ to be my unknowns, and use other letters for known values.

With those choices, we have the following system of equations:
\[\begin{cases}
x^2 + (h-y)^2 = C_1^2 \\
(h-x)^2 + y^2 = C_2^2 \\
x^2 + (h+y)^2 = C_3^2 \\
(h+x)^2 + y^2 = C_4^2
\end{cases}
\Rightarrow\begin{cases}
x^2 + y^2 - 2hy = C_1^2 - h^2\\
x^2 + y^2 - 2hx= C_2^2 - h^2 \\
x^2 + y^2 +2hy = C_3^2 - h^2 \\
x^2 + y^2 +2hx = C_4^2 - h^2
\end{cases}
\Rightarrow\begin{cases}
4hx= (C_4^2-h^2) - (C_2^2 - h^2) \\
4hy = (C_3^2 - h^2) - (C_1^2 - h^2) \\
\end{cases}
\Rightarrow\begin{cases}
x= \frac{C_4^2 - C_2^2}{4h} \\
y = \frac{C_3^2 - C_1^2}{4h} \\
\end{cases}
\]

Does that satisfy your needs? (Wondering)

You cracked it! Thanks so much. With x,y, I can easily determine the distance to the walls. Can't thank you enough. Take care,

Terry

1. What is the formula for finding the length of perpendiculars in a box of known dimension?

The formula for finding the length of perpendiculars in a box of known dimension is:
Length of Perpendicular = Square Root of (Height^2 + Width^2 + Depth^2)

2. How do I measure the dimensions of a box accurately?

To measure the dimensions of a box accurately, you will need a ruler or measuring tape. Measure the height, width, and depth of the box in inches or centimeters, making sure to measure from the inside edges of the box.

3. Can I use this formula for any shape of box?

No, this formula is specifically for rectangular boxes with perpendicular sides. For other shapes such as cylinders or pyramids, different formulas will need to be used.

4. What is the purpose of finding the length of perpendiculars in a box?

Finding the length of perpendiculars in a box is important for accurately calculating the volume of the box. It is also useful for determining the size of objects that can fit inside the box or for creating a scale model of the box.

5. Is there an easier way to find the length of perpendiculars in a box?

There are various online calculators or software programs that can help you quickly find the length of perpendiculars in a box. Alternatively, you can also use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of perpendiculars by hand.