Help for quickest and clearest route for differentiation question

In summary, the homework problem is to find the coordinates of points on a curve where the gradient is equal to 3/4. The solution involves substituting a variable, squaring both sides of the equation, and then simplifying to get a quadratic equation in terms of x. The final step is to find the solution using algebraic methods.
kauymatty

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the points on these curves at which the gradient has the given values.

y=1/3x^(3/2)-x^(1/2), gradient=3/4

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically the problem I have isn't really finding the answer because...

x^(1/2)-x^-(1/2)=6/4[/b] and then from here I just used trial and error to find 4, but I want to know how I would follow it through with the algebra, i.e. only has x on one side as one term e.g. x= ans.

Thanks in advance,

kauymatty

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting z = x^(1/2), then cast the result into the form az^2 + bz + c = 0.

I'd square both sides of the equation. That'll eliminate the square roots completely.

vela said:
I'd square both sides of the equation. That'll eliminate the square roots completely.

Thanks vela and banders, but after eliminating the roots I would still have the negative power, would I just get a common denominator by multiplying through with 16x as the denominator? (big of a noobish question XD)

Multiplying through by 16x would be fine.

1. How do I find the quickest route for differentiation?

The quickest route for differentiation depends on the specific function you are trying to differentiate. However, in general, using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule in the correct order can help you arrive at the answer more quickly.

2. What is the clearest way to approach a differentiation question?

The clearest way to approach a differentiation question is to first identify the function and its variables, then determine which rule(s) will be most useful, and finally show all of your steps and simplify as much as possible.

3. How can I check my answer for a differentiation question?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the function using a different rule or method, or by plugging in values for the variables and comparing the results to your original function.

4. Is there a shortcut for differentiation?

There are some shortcuts for specific types of functions, such as using the logarithmic differentiation rule for functions involving logarithms, but in general, following the basic rules is the most efficient and accurate method for differentiation.

5. How can I improve my speed and accuracy in solving differentiation problems?

Practicing regularly and understanding the concepts behind each rule will improve your speed and accuracy in solving differentiation problems. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, can also help with speed and accuracy.