Proving Continuity of g(x) at x=3: Using Real Definition and Limit Method

• Thread starter Math_Geek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding points where g(x) is continuous and proving continuity at those points. The speaker is struggling to show that x=3 is the only point of continuity and asks for help. Another person offers a solution involving choosing an epsilon and finding a delta to solve the problem. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help.
Math_Geek
HELP! I do not understand!

Homework Statement

Define f(x)=2x, x is rational and x+3 when x is irrational. Find all points where g(x) is continuous and prove continuity at these points

Homework Equations

From analysis homework and using the real definition of continuity

The Attempt at a Solution

Graphing g(x) I can see that the only point that will be continuous will be at x=3, how would you show using the definition that this point is continuous. Also is this the only point. I have been struggling, please help a girl in distress. lol

Physics news on Phys.org
… 'tis I … tiny-tim! …

Math_Geek said:
Graphing g(x) I can see that the only point that will be continuous will be at x=3, how would you show using the definition that this point is continuous. Also is this the only point. I have been struggling, please help a girl in distress. lol

:smile: … don't worry that pretty little head … :smile:

Just choose an epsilon, and find a delta such that f(3 + x) - 6 < epsilon, for all x < delta, and all your worries will go away! :smile:

so I just solve it like a limit problem? Thank you so much, I just knew someone would help a girl in distress lol.

1. What should I do if I don't understand a concept?

If you do not understand a concept, it is important to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. You can also try looking for online resources or asking for clarification during class. It is important to address any confusion as soon as possible to prevent falling behind.

2. How can I improve my understanding of a subject?

To improve your understanding of a subject, it is important to actively engage in the learning process. This can include taking thorough notes, participating in class discussions, and practicing problems or concepts on your own. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific topic?

If you are struggling with a specific topic, it is important to address it early and seek help. You can try re-reading the material, watching online tutorials, or asking for extra help from a teacher or tutor. It may also be helpful to break down the topic into smaller parts and focus on one at a time.

4. How can I better understand complex scientific concepts?

To better understand complex scientific concepts, it is important to make connections between the concepts and real-life examples. You can also try breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and relating them to what you already know. It may also be helpful to discuss the concept with a teacher or classmate and ask for visual aids or demonstrations.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling to understand after seeking help?

If you are still struggling to understand after seeking help, it may be helpful to try a different approach or seek additional resources. You can also try teaching the concept to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding. It is important to not get discouraged and continue to actively engage in the learning process.