Help identifying a part (if anything like these even exists)

• Thread starter btbam91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, The sleeve-like mechanism is designed to make contact with a spring wound around the carbon fiber shaft. It has a hinge type part that allows another leg to be attached to it.
btbam91
(Please see attached!)

Hey guys, I'm working on a summer student project and my group is in charge of design. What you see in the bottom part of the picture is carbon fiber leg with a sleeve like mechanism that makes contact with a spring wound around the carbon fiber leg. That sleeve like mechanism has a hinge type part that allows another leg to be attached to it (we're thinking threaded).

My question, is there anything like that sleeve like mechanism?

We're thinking something like this, but circular instead of flat:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202026723/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=t+connector&storeId=10051

Attachments

• WP_000082.jpg
    WP_000082.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 439
Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems like an easy enough thing to design and build out of some basic components if you can't find an all-in-one off the shelf solution...

I'm not really sure about this, and it'll sound weird, but that drawing looks a lot like the runner/stretcher connection in a bumbershoot.

Perhaps you may find something useful from the Kee-Klamp www.keesafety.com or CREFORM www.creform.com products. Look also at the various "aluminum extrusion structural components" company products like 80-20 www.8020.net , especially the Bosch stuff. You may have to find a McMaster-Carr or Grainger catalog (or equivalent) and spend a few hours digging around in there to find something useful.

It's definitely an item that has been used in design. Where you're going to find one is another question. I know that design is used on the old M60/M240 machine gun tripods to make them collapsible.

I keep picturing THIS

The pivoting part reminds me of the connector on my pole float for floating concrete! The design would be very simple to make! Get some carbon fiber rod, find an aluminum sleeve to your diameter and make two little tabs with holes drilled in them. Then just tack weld them to your sleeve. Then get more aluminum tube and weld a flat piece of aluminum to the top that is the width of the two tabs and run a bolt through it. The rest would be easy as far as springs and what not.

Travis_King said:
I keep picturing THIS

That's just a big, ugly bumbershoot... :tongue:

Try Misumi USA.
I don't think that carbon fiber is the best material for a shaft.
Keep the "slide" bearing length relatively long to avoid binding. Consider a trunnion style pivot if geometry will allow it.

1. What are the steps for identifying a part?

The steps for identifying a part include first examining the part for any visible markings or labels, measuring the dimensions accurately, and taking note of any unique features or characteristics. Then, conducting a thorough online search using the gathered information to find potential matches. If still unable to identify the part, reaching out to experts or manufacturers for assistance is recommended.

2. How can I determine the function of a part?

To determine the function of a part, it is important to understand the overall purpose of the device or system it is a part of. Examining its location and connections to other parts can also provide clues about its function. Additionally, researching the part's name or number, or consulting with experts can also help determine its function.

3. What are some common resources for identifying parts?

Some common resources for identifying parts include manufacturer websites, online databases and forums, technical manuals, and expert advice. Additionally, there are also specialized software and apps available that can assist in identifying parts based on their characteristics or dimensions.

4. Is it necessary to have specific knowledge or tools to identify a part?

While having specific knowledge or tools can be helpful in identifying a part, it is not always necessary. Conducting thorough research and utilizing available resources can often lead to successful identification. However, in some cases, specialized knowledge or tools may be required and seeking assistance from experts may be necessary.

5. How long does it usually take to identify a part?

The time it takes to identify a part can vary depending on the complexity of the part and the availability of information and resources. It can range from a few minutes to several hours or even days. It is important to be patient and thorough in the identification process to ensure accurate results.