Help Identifying Unclear Object Seen Through Telescope

• Thread starter a7d07c8114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the new person saw an object in the vicinity of Jupiter that they could not focus clearly enough on. They think it might have been a disk shape and it was larger than the image of Jupiter. They suggest trying again later if possible. The scope they were using was not known.
a7d07c8114
Hi, I'm pretty new at this amateur astronomy thing, and I saw something through my telescope that I could not focus clearly enough on (as to be expected from a telescope I picked up from craigslist for $10). I would like help identifying it.
Latitude: 40° 15' 36" N
Longitude: 74° 16' 27" W (note: these are slightly approximated, should be within a 10 second margin though)
Time: Wed 2011 Aug 24 3:50 -ish UTC, and persisted afterward
Object location: In the vicinity of Jupiter (aim point RA: 2h 56m 54s)
Object description: I saw a curved white line. I was unable to focus on it, so it was blurry and I can't give you much more than that. It might have been a disk shape, and I was seeing the edge? I think it was larger than the image of Jupiter - I could focus on Jupiter, yet the image of the line would still be large and unfocused.
If this is the wrong place for this question I apologize.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The possibilites are endless - sounds like a lens flare to me. The human eye is very easily deceived.

I was just looking at Jupiter a few days ago, and I didn't see anything near it. Check again tonight if you can and make sure it isn't lens flare, or a cloud, or something else.

a7d07c8114 said:
Object description: I saw a curved white line. I was unable to focus on it, so it was blurry and I can't give you much more than that.

Sure you can. Sketch it.

Use a pencil on paper (not a computer) so you can Draw all the fuzzy bits.
Reverse black for white (or you'll go through your pencil in a hurry).
Draw in the scope artifacts (such as field of view).
Take a pic with your cellphone and attach.

Also, what kind of scope? Newt? Dob? Refrac?
Diameter? Mag? Eyepiece?

Tried again the night after, seems you guys are right: it's gone. Appears to be lens flare. Thanks though!

Related to Help Identifying Unclear Object Seen Through Telescope

1. What could be causing the object to appear unclear through the telescope?

There are several possible reasons for this. It could be due to atmospheric disturbance, poor telescope alignment or focusing, or the object itself may be too far away or too faint to be seen clearly.

2. Is there a way to improve the clarity of the object through the telescope?

Yes, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure your telescope is properly aligned and focused. You can also try using different eyepieces or using a telescope filter to reduce glare. If the object is very faint, you may need to wait for better viewing conditions or use a larger telescope.

3. How can I identify the object I am seeing through the telescope?

The best way to identify the object is to use a star chart or astronomy app. You can also compare the object's position and characteristics to known celestial objects. If you are still unsure, you can consult with other astronomers or submit your observation to an online forum or database.

4. What should I do if I am unable to identify the object through the telescope?

If you are unable to identify the object, it is important to document your observations as accurately as possible. Take note of the object's position, size, color, and any distinguishing features. You can also take a photo or video through the telescope for further analysis.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when observing unclear objects through a telescope?

Yes, it is important to never look directly at the Sun through a telescope unless you have proper solar filters. It is also recommended to avoid observing objects near the horizon or in areas with high levels of light pollution. Additionally, be careful not to strain your eyes or neck while using the telescope.