Help in proving this inequality

• Thread starter japplepie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a*b < c*d, then a*log(a)+b*log(b) > c*log(c)+d*log(d). The approach involves using the fact that A+B=C+D=N, the maximum for the product A*B or C*D is (N/2)^2. It is also important to consider the concave down nature of the log function. The original claim can be proven by showing that the two functions, a*log(a)+b*log(b) and a*b, grow and shrink together.
japplepie
Can somebody help me please, I've tried solving this for hours but I still couldn't get it.

Given that a, b, c, d are positive integers and a+b=c+d.

Prove that if a∗b < c∗d,
then a∗log(a)+b∗log(b) > c∗log(c)+d∗log(d)

How do I do it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start with the multiplication... You know that if ## A+B=C+D = N,the maximum for the product A*B or C*D is (N/2)^2.
So if AB < CD, then C and D are more central...which gives you A < C ≤ D < B.
From there use the fact that the log function is concave down.

Please post a little bit more about what you have tried, and where you are stuck.

The closest I've got is I've tried to log both sides of the 1st inequality giving log(a)+log(b) < log(c)+log(d) then I tried to make one side similar the the 2nd inequality but then I realized that I'm going in circles.

How do I use the concave down point?

Given a new constrant that A+B = C+D = 1
Does showing that:
d[ -1(a*log(a)+(1-a)*log(1-a)) ] / d[a] * d[ a*(1-a) ] / d[a] to be always greater than or equal to zero prove the original claim?

Since satisfying this means that the two functions grow and shrink together (albeit not in the exact amount).
y=-1/log(2)*(x*log(x)+(1-x)*log(1-x)) {[0,1]} // the a*log(a)+b*log(b)
y=x*(1-x) {[0,1]} // the a*b
upload_2015-10-23_17-0-19.png

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 355

Related to Help in proving this inequality

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is greater than or less than the other.

How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must use mathematical operations and properties to manipulate the given quantities and show that the inequality holds true. This can include algebraic manipulation, substitution, or using known inequalities and properties.

What are some common techniques used to prove inequalities?

Some common techniques used to prove inequalities include mathematical induction, contradiction, Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, and rearrangement inequality.

What are the steps to proving an inequality?

The steps to proving an inequality are:
1. Clearly state the given inequality.
2. Use algebraic manipulation or known properties to simplify the inequality.
3. Show that the simplified inequality is true.
4. State the conclusion that the original inequality is true.

Can inequalities be proven using real-life examples?

Yes, inequalities can be proven using real-life examples. For example, if you want to prove that 3 is greater than 1, you can use real-life objects like 3 apples and 1 apple to demonstrate this inequality.