Help in rearranging a formulae

• Thread starter Fornicis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the formula for v can be rearranged to v3 = (2PAvail) / (ρACp) and then take the cube root of both sides, where PAvail is equal to 1/2 ρAv^{3}C_{p}. The number of variables for PAvail is not specified, but the solution remains the same regardless. This is not for homework, but rather for personal interest. Thank you to anyone who can assist with this.
Fornicis
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in rearranging the following formulae to make v the subject?

PAvail = 1/2 ρAv[itex]^{3}[/itex]C[itex]_{p}[/itex]

This isn't for homework, its simply something I'm interested in and I would be immensely grateful to anyone who could do this for me.

Oh and before anyone says, I have tried to myself but I just want a second opinion as what it came out with for me seemed a bit off

Mathematics news on Phys.org
v3 = (2PAvail) / (ρACp)
and then take the cube root of both sides.

Is "PAvail" five different variables, or two, or one? Hard to tell... Anyway, same answer in any case.

Thats similar to what I got, though less brackets which could have resulted in miscalculations, and in this case its just one but as you said, it can be interchangeable, and that part is key :) thank you very much

Fornicis said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in rearranging the following formulae to make v the subject?

PAvail = 1/2 ρAv[itex]^{3}[/itex]C[itex]_{p}[/itex]
Minor point: this is a formula. Formulae is the plural of formula.
Fornicis said:
This isn't for homework, its simply something I'm interested in and I would be immensely grateful to anyone who could do this for me.

Oh and before anyone says, I have tried to myself but I just want a second opinion as what it came out with for me seemed a bit off

Sure, I'd be happy to help you rearrange the formula to make v the subject. Here's how we can do it:

First, let's multiply both sides of the equation by 2 to get rid of the 1/2 on the right side:

2PAvail = ρAv^{3}C_{p}

Next, we can divide both sides by ρA to isolate the v^3 term on the right side:

(2PAvail)/(ρA) = v^{3}C_{p}

Now, we can take the cube root of both sides to get v by itself:

v = (2PAvail/(ρA*C_{p}))^{1/3}

And there you have it! v is now the subject of the formula. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to assist!

1. How do I rearrange a formulae?

To rearrange a formulae, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing both sides of the equation by the same number or variable.

2. Can I rearrange a formulae with more than one variable?

Yes, you can rearrange a formulae with more than one variable. The key is to isolate the variable you want to solve for and keep the other variables on the opposite side of the equation. You may need to use multiple algebraic techniques to achieve this.

3. What if I don't know which variable to solve for?

If you are unsure which variable to solve for, you can use the given information in the formulae to substitute in values for different variables and solve for the desired variable. This may require some trial and error, but eventually, you will find the correct variable to solve for.

4. Can I rearrange a formulae with exponents?

Yes, you can rearrange a formulae with exponents. You may need to use logarithms or other algebraic techniques to isolate the variable with an exponent. Remember to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

5. Is there a specific order to rearrange a formulae?

There is no specific order to rearrange a formulae. However, it is helpful to start by isolating any variables with terms attached to them, such as coefficients or exponents. Then, move on to isolating variables without any terms attached. Finally, solve for the desired variable.