Need Help with Solving an Integral Problem? Let Our Experts Guide You!

• Thread starter Waffle07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the fundamental theorem of calculus states that the derivative of a function at a point is equal to the derivative of the function at the point's midpoint.
Waffle07
Ok I can't figure out how to solve this. I should be able to just plug in the sin(x) into the t's but it says that is the wrong answer. I asked my prof in class today to solve it, but he really didnt help. So maybe you guys can help me out. Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• Homework help.JPG
    Homework help.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the fundamental theorem of calculus say? Also, you'll need to use the chain rule.

Its says the derivative of g(x) is equal f(x), I know the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, but I just don't know how to use it alongside the chain rule. Our book only has one example of it, and it doesn't explain it very well.

I think the answer is 5x^4*cos(x^5)*cos(sin(x)^5)+sin(x) but, I know its wrong cus the website won't take it.

Last edited:
Yea, but that's meaningless unless you define f(x) and g(x). I'm sure you do know it, but all this problem consists of is carefully applying the definitions, so you should be explicit.

waffle07 said:
Its says the derivative of g(x) is equal f(x)
No matter what f and g are? What a remarkable theorem!:rofl:

One form of the fundamental theorem of calculus says that if
[tex]g(x)= \int_{x_0}^x f(t)dt[/tex]
then the derivative of g(x) if f(x). Here your only "problem" is that the upper limit is sin(x) instead of x. Can you make a substitution to correct that? As StatusX says, use the chain rule.

Alright that didnt help me at all. Um, let's see can you just tell me the answer?? I think I would be able to see what I am doing wrong if I knew the answer.

No. Keep trying, or ask more questions.

K the answer is cosx*cos(sin(x)^5)+cosx*sinx

An awesome way to think of it is to say,

[tex]h(x)=\int_{-5}^{\sin x} f(t) dt = F(\sin x) - F(-5)[/tex]

You want d/dx of that, so use the chain rule straight off...

[tex] \dfrac{d}{dx}(F(\sin x)) = \cos x (f(\sin x))[/tex]

Where [tex]f(t) = \cos (t^5) + t[/tex]

heh - just found a great site for this sort of thing the other day. I can't help you but these guys have sure helped me - great physics tutors cheap plus old q & a even cheaper from their library - great for studying.

www.brainmass.com

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How do you solve an integral problem?

To solve an integral problem, you need to use integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals. First, you need to identify the function that you want to integrate and then apply the appropriate technique to find the antiderivative. Finally, you can evaluate the integral by plugging in the limits of integration and solving for the result.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral results in a function with a constant of integration. Definite integrals are used to find the area or volume of a specific region, while indefinite integrals are used to find the general solution to a problem.

4. What are some real-life applications of integral problems?

Integrals are used in a wide range of real-life applications, including calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the total distance traveled, finding the volume of a shape to determine its capacity, and determining the center of mass for an object. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze various phenomena.

5. Are there any tips for solving integral problems more efficiently?

Yes, some tips for solving integral problems more efficiently include practicing different integration techniques, understanding the properties of integrals, and using technology, such as calculators or computer software, to assist with calculations. It is also helpful to break down the integral into smaller parts and to use algebraic manipulations to simplify the problem before integrating.