Help interpreting symbols of basic electric circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between asking for the voltage of a point in a wire versus the voltage across a resistor in a circuit. The concept of voltage being relative is also brought up. The question specifically mentions V1 in the circuit, which represents the voltage from the labeled node to ground. It is noted that this is a poorly worded question and that for future exam questions, it is important to clarify the reference point for voltage measurements.
string
Is asking for the voltage of a point in a wire (before/after a resister) the same as asking for the voltage across that resister? I understand voltage is relative..

Here is the circuit:

rI5t47k.png

I can't wrap my head around what V1 represents. Other questions in this assignment specifically ask for the voltage across some element of the circuit. I just don't know how to interpret the notation of V1 as it is drawn in this circuit as I've never encountered it before.

Any perspective on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
string said:
Is asking for the voltage of a point in a wire (before/after a resister) the same as asking for the voltage across that resister? I understand voltage is relative..
Yes (at least I THINK that's what you are asking)
I can't wrap my head around what V1 represents. Other questions in this assignment specifically ask for the voltage across some element of the circuit. I just don't know how to interpret the notation of V1 as it is drawn in this circuit as I've never encountered it before.

It is standard to take the bottom horizontal wire in a circuit as ground, so V1 just means the voltage from the labeled node to ground, which is the voltage across R2 and R3

It's a badly worded question.

Voltages are indeed relative so to answer the question you will need to make an assumption. A reasonable assumption would be to choose 0V, Ground or battery -ve as the reference as Phinds suggests. Your answer should state that

"V1 is ?V w.r.t the battery -ve terminal"

In this case it's straightforward but in future watch out for exam questions that have the battery with the -ve terminal at the top.

1. What are the basic symbols used in electric circuits?

The most commonly used symbols in electric circuits include a battery, resistor, switch, capacitor, diode, LED, and ground. These symbols are used to represent the different components in a circuit and help to simplify circuit diagrams.

2. How do I interpret the symbols in an electric circuit diagram?

To interpret the symbols in an electric circuit diagram, you need to understand the function of each component. For example, a battery symbol represents a power source, a resistor symbol represents a component that resists the flow of electricity, and a switch symbol represents a component that can open or close a circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with the same voltage across each branch. This results in different currents flowing through each component.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the resistances of each component. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

5. What happens if I add or remove a component from an electric circuit?

Adding or removing a component from an electric circuit can change the overall resistance, current, and voltage of the circuit. For example, adding a resistor in series will increase the total resistance and decrease the current, while adding a resistor in parallel will decrease the total resistance and increase the current.