Help: line transmission question

In summary, the conversation is about someone named Dan who is trying to calculate impedance in a line transmission but is struggling. They have found some values to help with the task and have received a suggestion to use conjugate multiplication. The conversation ends with a reminder to use the correct units in calculations.
Danieljax88
Hi
I am trying to calculate impedance in a line transmission but can't seem to figure it out :(
i have so far undertood that it is calculated by zo = R+jwL/G+jwC

The values i have found so far to help me with the task are:
R =100 ohms
L=225 micro henry
C = 9.3 Nano farads
G = 0.01 S

Can anyone get back to me asap with some help as i have got cswk in for today and am REALLY struggling :(

Regards
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't follow??

Where are those values in a transmission line? Per metre?

Time and time again people get a poor response because their question is vague.

Hi Dan
use conjugate multiplication!
multiply (R+jwL) and (G-jwC) in the numerator..(G+jwC) and (G-jwC) in the Dr.
Substitute...w^2 = (1/LC)

yeah i guess its per metre...

Danieljax88 said:
Hi
I am trying to calculate impedance in a line transmission but can't seem to figure it out :(
i have so far undertood that it is calculated by zo = R+jwL/G+jwC

The values i have found so far to help me with the task are:
R =100 ohms
L=225 micro henry
C = 9.3 Nano farads
G = 0.01 S

Can anyone get back to me asap with some help as i have got cswk in for today and am REALLY struggling :(

Regards
Dan

You miss the square root! Z0=SQRT[(R+jwL)/(G+jwC)]

I don't know how you get the numbers. I think it should be close approx. Make sure you use meter, farad/meter, henry/meter etc. for calculation. I am not 100% sure.

1. What is line transmission?

Line transmission refers to the process of sending data or signals over a physical line or medium, such as a telephone line or fiber optic cable. It is commonly used in telecommunication systems to transfer information from one location to another.

2. How does line transmission work?

Line transmission works by converting digital signals into analog signals that can be sent over a physical line. This is achieved through modulation techniques, such as Amplitude Modulation (AM) or Frequency Modulation (FM). The signals are then received at the other end and demodulated back into digital form.

3. What are the different types of line transmission?

The main types of line transmission are analog and digital. Analog transmission uses continuous signals to transmit information, while digital transmission uses discrete signals in the form of binary code. Within these categories, there are various methods and technologies used, such as DSL, T1, and Ethernet.

4. What factors can affect line transmission?

Several factors can impact line transmission, including the quality and length of the physical line, electromagnetic interference, and the choice of transmission method. Other factors may include weather conditions, network congestion, and the overall condition of the equipment used for transmission.

5. How can line transmission be improved?

To improve line transmission, it is important to use high-quality physical lines and equipment, reduce interference, and optimize the transmission method for the specific needs of the network. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help improve the overall performance of line transmission systems.