1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lossless transmission line characteristic phase constant

1. Sep 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lossless transmission line has an inductance of 9.0 nH / m and a capacitance of 3.6 pF / m.
    a) What is the line's characteristic impedance?
    b) Calculate the phase constant of a frequency of 1 GHz.

2. Relevant equations

Equation of characteristic impedance of a transmission line:

Z0 = sqrt( R+j2piL / G+2jpiC )

Where R and G = 0, because lossless transmission line.

3. The attempt at a solution

For a I just used the equation above, but for task 2 I'm not sure what to do. I dont now how to get Sin/Cos to the equation so I can fint the phase constant. Do I need to do something to the equation above?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2016 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a lossless or for that matter distortionless line there is a very simple formula relating the phase constant to the radian frequency, inductance per unit length and capacitance per unit length, all of which you have. SI units are rad/m.

4. Sep 13, 2016 #3
    Thanks a lot for you respons. I really appreciate it. Do you know what the formula is, or where I could find it? I have seen in the book, but cant find it. Also I have added what I done in the first task. Should I use the result from that? I got 50 ohm.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 13, 2016 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are many places on the Internet where you can find that formula. No, that formula does not include the answer to part (a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted