Help Me Find the Upper Limit of My Homework Question

In summary, the question asks to use the shell method to find the volume of a solid generated when a region bounded by a curve is revolved about the x-axis. The lower limit is 0 and the upper limit is unknown. The conversation provides guidance on how to approach the problem, including using symmetry and working in the first quadrant, and also suggests doing the problem the other way as well for experience and to check one's work.
alane1994
Here is my homework question. I am stuck on one part of it, and it is ok for me to receive guidance, not answers without effort.

Question:
Let R be the region bounded by the following curves. Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated when R is revolved about the x-axis.

[tex]y=\sqrt{98-2x^2}[/tex]

My Work So Far:
  • I have found the value of x
[tex]x=\pm\sqrt{\frac{98-y^2}{2}}[/tex]
  • The lower limit is 0.
  • The upper limit is___?

This is where I get stuck... I am unsure how to get the upper limit. Once I get that, I should be able to proceed from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
#1 - Please observe symmetry. Work in the 1st Quadrant and multiply by 2 to achieve the entire result. This will free you from the laborious "+/-".

Thus: [tex]2\cdot\left(2\cdot\pi\cdot\int_{0}^{\sqrt{98}}y \cdot x\;dy\right)[/tex]

You've only to substitute your correct expression for 'x' and you're done.

In my opinion, you should ALWAYS do it the other way in addition to what is asked. This will do at least these three things:
1) Give you experience in both methods.
2) You will gain experience in judging which is better in which circumstances.
3) You will be able to check your own work.

[tex]2\cdot\left(\pi\cdot\int_{0}^{7}y^{2}\;dx\right) = 2\cdot\left(\pi\cdot\int_{0}^{7}98 - 2x^{2}\;dx\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
tkhunny said:
In my opinion, you should ALWAYS do it the other way in addition to what is asked. This will do at least these three things:
1) Give you experience in both methods.
2) You will gain experience in judging which is better in which circumstances.
3) You will be able to check your own work.

Great advice!:cool:

My calculus professor recommended the same thing for the same reasons, way back when. It is a great habit to get into.

Related to Help Me Find the Upper Limit of My Homework Question

1. What is the upper limit of a homework question?

The upper limit of a homework question refers to the maximum level of difficulty or complexity that a question can have before it becomes too challenging for a student to answer correctly.

2. How can I determine the upper limit of my homework question?

To determine the upper limit of your homework question, you can consider the level of knowledge and skills required to answer it, as well as the time and resources available to complete it.

3. Can the upper limit of a homework question vary depending on the subject?

Yes, the upper limit of a homework question can vary depending on the subject. Some subjects may have more complex concepts and require more advanced skills, resulting in a higher upper limit for questions.

4. What should I do if I reach the upper limit of my homework question?

If you reach the upper limit of your homework question, you can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources. It's essential to understand the concept behind the question rather than just focusing on getting the answer.

5. Is it beneficial to challenge myself with questions that are close to the upper limit?

Challenging yourself with questions that are close to the upper limit can help improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, it's crucial to strike a balance and not overwhelm yourself with questions that are too difficult.