Help Me Prove: (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 Divisible by Odd Prime q

• Thread starter buzzmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof where the goal is to show that (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 is divisible by an odd prime q. The participants mention certain hypotheses, such as the p_i being integers and non-zero, and the result being a direct application of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic. It is noted that p_i are primes and q is an odd prime different from the p_i's. The suggestion is made to show that (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 is not divisible by any of the pi and not divisible by 2 in order to prove the statement.
buzzmath
I got stuck on one part of this proof. I'm trying to show that
(2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 is divisible by an odd prime q. Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you left out a bunch of hypotheses, such that the p_i are integer and non-zero. The result then follows immediately from the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

p_i are primes and q is an odd prime different from the p_i's

The point of Muzza's statement about the "fundamental theorem of arithmetic" is that every number is divisible by a prime number! All you need to do is show that (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 is not divisible by any of the pi (what would the remainder be?) and that it is not divisible by 2.

Related to Help Me Prove: (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 Divisible by Odd Prime q

1. How do you prove the divisibility of (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 by an odd prime q?

The divisibility of (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 by an odd prime q can be proved using mathematical induction. First, show that the statement is true for the base case, which is typically q = 3. Then, assume that the statement is true for a particular value of q, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for q+2. This will prove the statement true for all odd prime numbers.

2. What is the significance of proving this statement?

If the statement (2(p1)(p2)...(pn))^4 + 1 is divisible by an odd prime q is true, it can have important implications in number theory and cryptography. It can also provide a better understanding of prime numbers and their properties.

3. Are there any exceptions to this statement?

Yes, there are exceptions to this statement. For example, if q is equal to 2 or any other even number, the statement will not hold true. Additionally, there may be certain combinations of p1, p2, ..., pn that could make the statement false.

4. How can this statement be applied in practical situations?

This statement can be applied in practical situations, particularly in the field of cryptography. It can be used to generate large prime numbers that are used in encryption and secure communication systems.

5. Can this statement be extended to other types of numbers besides odd primes?

Yes, this statement can be extended to other types of numbers. For example, it can also be proved for even primes or composite numbers. However, the method of proof may differ for each type of number.