Help Me Solve Xsquared - 11x - 42 Maths Question

• Thread starter x_paddypaws_x
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves the speaker seeking help with a math problem, specifically factorising a polynomial. They mention being stuck and not knowing where the squared key on their computer is. They also mention that they are in year 9 and eventually their dad helps them solve the problem. The solution involves two sets of brackets with x in the front and two numbers that add to make -11 and multiply to make -42. The final answer is (x-14)(x+3).
x_paddypaws_x
please please please please help! really easy question but I'm stuck!

I am sooooo stuck on this question in my maths homework! I know it's a really easy one probably but I can't seem to do it! It's about factorising,
I don't know where the squared key on the p.c. is so I am going to put squared after the x to represent x squared

xsquared - 11x - 42

I know because of the x squared it has to be two sets of brackets each with x in the front and it has to be two numbers that add to make -11 and times to make -42 I THINK

please please please please please please please please please please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
1. Cool down a bit, and answer first:
What do you need to know in order to factorize a polynomial?

? I'm only in year 9! but I am going to delete this thread cos my dad just saved me! phew! :blushing:

That was nice of him!

yeah, sorry for wasting your time

No problem!
You might compare my answer with your Dad's:
[tex]x^{2}-11x-42=(x-14)(x+3)[/tex]

Related to Help Me Solve Xsquared - 11x - 42 Maths Question

1. How do I solve Xsquared - 11x - 42?

To solve this equation, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation into two binomials. First, rearrange the terms to get the equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c. In this case, the equation becomes x^2 - 11x - 42 = 0. From there, you can plug in the values of a, b, and c into the quadratic formula (x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a) or use the FOIL method to factor the equation into (x - 14)(x + 3) = 0. This gives you two solutions for x: x = 14 and x = -3.

2. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a and provides two solutions for x. This formula is derived from completing the square and is a useful tool for solving equations that cannot be easily factored.

3. How do I factor a quadratic equation?

To factor a quadratic equation, you can use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This method involves multiplying the first term of the equation by the first term of a binomial, then the outer terms, inner terms, and last terms. For example, to factor x^2 - 5x + 6, you would find two numbers that multiply to 6 and add to -5 (in this case, -2 and -3) and write the equation as (x - 2)(x - 3) = 0. This gives you two solutions for x: x = 2 and x = 3.

4. What are the solutions for Xsquared - 11x - 42?

The solutions for this equation are x = 14 and x = -3. These values can be found by using the quadratic formula or factoring the equation.

5. Can I check my answer for Xsquared - 11x - 42?

Yes, you can check your answer by plugging the values of x into the original equation. For example, if you solved the equation using the quadratic formula and got x = 14, you would plug 14 into the equation to get 14^2 - 11(14) - 42 = 0. If the equation is true, then your solution is correct.