Help me to find a Definite Integral

In summary, the given equation can be solved using integration by parts, but will result in a divergent integral. However, using different values for the exponent in the integrand can give a solution of -a^2/(1+a^2) or sqrt(pi) * exp(-a^2).
sunveer
1. Evaluate [PLAIN]http://www.goiit.com/equations/2011/5/25/795493e8-6a4d-42b0-8c18-2afa4e75b653.png[/b]

I have tried hard to solve it but I am not getting the exact answer.
The ans is given to be -a^2/(1+a^2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts. Let [itex]u= e^{-2x}[/tex] and [itex]dv= cos(2ax)[/itex]

The result will involve
[tex]\int e^{-2x}sin(2ax)dx[tex]
so use integration by parts again. Let [itex]u= e^{-2x} again but let [itex]dv= sin(2ax)[/itex].

That will give you a formula that again involves
[tex]\int e^{-2x}cos(2ax)dx[/tex]
so set the whole thing equal to that integral.

Try that and if you have a problem show your work here.

I solved it by Integration by parts
but
at last I am getting

(1+a^2){∫e−2xcos(2ax)dx}=0

Last edited:
sunveer said:
1. Evaluate [PLAIN]http://www.goiit.com/equations/2011/5/25/795493e8-6a4d-42b0-8c18-2afa4e75b653.png[/b]

I have tried hard to solve it but I am not getting the exact answer.
The ans is given to be -a^2/(1+a^2)

Your integral is divergent. However, the integral with exp(-2*|x|) instead of exp(-2*x) does give 1/(1+a^2), and the integral with exp(-x^2) instead of exp(-2*x) gives sqrt(pi) * exp(-a^2).

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a way to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

Why is finding a definite integral important?

Finding a definite integral is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object, the total amount of water in a tank, or the total cost of a product.

How do I find a definite integral?

To find a definite integral, you need to first determine the limits of integration, which are the starting and ending points of the interval you want to find the integral for. Then, you can use various techniques such as the Riemann sum, the fundamental theorem of calculus, or integration by parts to solve the integral.

What are the common mistakes when finding a definite integral?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration when using integration by parts. Another mistake is not correctly evaluating the limits of integration. It is also important to pay attention to the signs and notation when solving the integral.

What are the practical applications of finding a definite integral?

A definite integral has numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and averages, as well as to model and analyze real-world phenomena.