How Does Intake Taper Influence Engine Performance?

• Thread starter 5.0stang
  • Start date
In summary, there is often talk about intake taper and how it affects engine performance. Intake taper is measured in both percentages and degrees and is used to increase air velocity at the back of the valve. This is achieved by gradually increasing the runner area from the valve to the plenum. The angle of taper and percentage can be calculated by measuring different diameters at different points along the runner. This is similar to how pipe threads are checked for acceptance.
5.0stang
Often I see talks about intake taper. This has brought on a few questions from me:)

I am trying to keep this on a Fuel Injection level. The intakes seem to have longer runners that range from 10-15 inches. Compared to carb intakes that are in the 4-6" range. How can they both perform in the same rpm range?

Okay anyways, this is the text I have questions from...

To further help fill the cylinder, it helps to have a high velocity at the back of the valve. To aid in this the intake port can be tapered. To be effective, there should be between 1.7 and 2.5% increase in intake runner area per inch of runner, which represents a 1-1.5° taper. For an example, let’s say you're looking for a 2% increase per inch taper on the 2.02" valve we discussed earlier. We already came up with a port area of 2.56 square inches at just before the valve. Now let’s say the total runner is 10 inches from the valve to the plenum and we're looking for a 2% per inch taper. This turns out to be a total of 3.12 square inches where the port meets the plenum. As you get near the 2.5% per inch taper point, you are pretty much at the limit of helping airflow. A larger taper will only hurt signal strength at the carburetor.

I see that intake taper is talked about in percentages and in degrees.

What is the difference?

On an intake, how can you measure intake taper in percentage or in degrees?

Thanks and I hope I did not make it too confusing to follow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can't measure them in either. You have to assume (if you don't know for sure) that the walls are straight and measure different diameters at different locations (usually at the two ends) along the tube. Then the angle of taper or the percentage area increase can be calculated.

This is analogous to pipe threads, which are also tapered. They are tapered at .75" per foot , or 1°47'. The way that they are checked for acceptance is by checking diameters at gauge points along the axis of the thread.

Thanks for the quick response Fred Garvin.

So, let us say we have an entrance measurement of 2" x 1.75", and the exit measurements are 1.90" x 1.50".

Entrance area is 3.5" (squared) and the Exit area is 2.85" (squared).

Then let us say there is a 15" runner.

Can any taper percentage or degree measurements be made or assumed with the above information?

Unless I'm missing something huge, the taper angle can be obtained from simple trigonometry of measurements, and the percentage as defined in your original post, the amount of increase of runner area per inch of runner length.

1. What is intake taper and why is it important?

Intake taper refers to the gradual decrease in the amount of food or nutrients consumed over a certain period of time. It is important because it allows the body to adjust and adapt to changes in food intake, preventing sudden weight gain or loss and promoting overall health.

2. How long should an intake taper last?

The duration of an intake taper can vary depending on individual needs and goals. In general, it is recommended to decrease food intake gradually over a period of 1-2 weeks.

3. What are the benefits of an intake taper?

An intake taper can have several benefits including improved digestion, better control of appetite and cravings, and more sustainable weight management. It can also help prevent the negative effects of sudden and extreme dietary changes.

4. Is an intake taper suitable for everyone?

An intake taper can be beneficial for most individuals, but it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting one. Those with certain medical conditions or on specific medications may need to modify their intake taper plan.

5. Can an intake taper be used for weight loss or muscle building?

Yes, an intake taper can be used for both weight loss and muscle building. It can help create a caloric deficit for weight loss and a caloric surplus for muscle building, while also providing the body with the necessary nutrients for optimal health and performance.