How Does Changing the Price Affect Janet's Revenue and Costs?

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
In summary, Janet is an artist who produces and sells prints of her artwork. She currently sells her prints for $17 each and sells 340 prints. However, for each 75 cent price increase, she will sell 10 fewer prints. To calculate her total costs, the formula is C(x) = 500 + 2(340 − 10x) where x is the number of 75 cent price increases. For her revenue, the formula is R(x) = (17 + 0.75x)(340 − 10x) where x is the number of 75 cent price increases.
IntegrateMe
Janet is an artist who produces and sells prints of her artwork. If Janet sells her prints for $17 each, then she will sell 340 prints. Janet is considering whether she should change the price. She takes a survey and concludes that for each price increase of 75 cents, she will sell 10 fewer prints.

1. Janet plans to produce exactly the number of prints that her survey predicts she will sell. Her costs include $2 per print, along with $500 in fixed costs. Find a formula for C(x), Janet’s total costs, in terms of x, the number of 75 cent price increases.

A: C(x) = 500 + 2(340 − 10x)

2. Find a formula for Janet’s revenue, R(x), in terms of x, the number of 75 cent
price increases.

A: R(x) = (17 + 0.75x)(340 − 10x)

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A:
$500 in fixed costs, and on top of that it then costs $2 for each sold print.
The question says that she will print exactly how many she sells, and that she will sell 340 with no price increase, and 10 less for each 75c increase (hence the 340-10x)
Add all this up, and you should get the C(x) you listed.

Part B:
The revenue is the profit Janet will make. So it's the cost of each print*number of prints sold.
From part A you already know she sells 340-10x prints each time, so all that's left is to find the cost of each print.
The initial cost is in the question (17) and the cost changes by 75c much like the number of prints sold goes down (by a factor of x)
Add all this up and you should get the R(x) formula you listed.

What does "help me understand these answers" mean?

"Help me understand these answers" is a request for clarification or further explanation on a topic or concept. It implies that the person asking does not fully comprehend the answers they have received and is seeking further explanation to gain a better understanding.

Why is it important to understand the answers given to me?

Understanding the answers given to you is important because it allows you to fully comprehend the information being presented. This can help you make informed decisions, apply the information to real-world situations, and avoid misunderstandings or confusion.

How can I improve my understanding of the answers given to me?

One way to improve your understanding of the answers given to you is to ask for clarification or further explanation. You can also do your own research on the topic, discuss it with others, or practice applying the information in practical situations.

What should I do if I still don't understand the answers given to me?

If you still don't understand the answers given to you, it is important to communicate this to the person providing the answers. They may be able to explain it in a different way or provide additional resources for you to further your understanding. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out alternative sources of information.

Is it okay to not understand the answers given to me?

Yes, it is completely normal to not understand the answers given to you. Everyone learns and comprehends information differently. It is important to ask for clarification and continue seeking understanding. Don't be discouraged if it takes time to fully grasp the answers - understanding comes with effort and persistence.