Why Does a(tau) Not Equal af in This Orbital Migration Equation?

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, The journal paper discusses a formula for an object's semi-major axis at time t, which is used to determine its position while migrating from its original orbit to its current one. The formula includes a timescale for the migration and can be computed by subtracting a constant from the final value of a. The author clarified that the value of a at t=0 is equal to ai and the value at t=tau is equal to af, but the value at t=tau must be calculated using a different formula.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
**** Edit, appearently, Latex is not working right now. Here's my best effort to duplicate this post without Latex: ***

In the following journal paper:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1995AJ...110..420M&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

the top of page 424 contains this formula
a(t)=af-delta a exp(-t/tau)

which if I'm not mistaken is the same as
a(t)=af-delta a e(-t/tau)

It gives an object's semi-major axis at time t for an object that is migrating from the orbit where it formed, to where it is in the current epoch.

tau is the timescale of the migration
and ai can be computed by
af-delta a

It would make sense to me that a(0) should equal ai, and a(tau) should equal af.

My first assumption is correct. a(0) does equal ai since e0=1.

But my second assumption can only work if e-1 = 0, which it does not.

Does anyone care to guess what I'm doing wrong?

*** The Latex version for when TEX starts working again ***
In the following journal paper:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1995AJ...110..420M&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

the top of page 424 contains this formula
[tex]a(t)=a_{f}-\delta a exp(-t/\tau)[/tex]

which if I'm not mistaken is the same as
[tex]a(t)=a_{f}-\delta a e^{(-t/\tau)}[/tex]

It gives an object's semi-major axis at time t for an object that is migrating from the orbit where it formed, to where it is in the current epoch.

[tex]\tau[/tex] is the timescale of the migration
and ai can be computed by
[tex]a_{f}-\delta a[/tex]

It would make sense to me that a(0) should equal ai, and [tex]a(\tau)[/tex] should equal af.

My first assumption is correct. a(0) does equal ai since e0=1.

But my second assumption can only work if e-1 = 0, which it does not.

Does anyone care to guess what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I figured it out. As long as I posted the question here, I might as well post the answer too incase anybody was curious. I e-mailed the author of the paper and she responded:
af is the value of a(t) at t-->infinity (i.e., very long time... many times
tau). a(tau) is just the value of 'a' at one e-folding time.

1. What is the purpose of this equation?

The purpose of an equation is to represent a relationship between different variables or quantities. It can be used to solve for unknown values, make predictions, or describe a phenomenon in a mathematical way.

2. How do I interpret the different symbols and numbers in the equation?

The symbols and numbers in an equation represent different mathematical operations and quantities. For example, symbols such as "+" and "-" indicate addition and subtraction, while numbers can represent constants or coefficients. It is important to understand the meaning of each symbol in order to correctly interpret the equation.

3. Why is this equation important in the context of my research?

The importance of an equation in research can vary depending on the specific field and topic. However, in general, equations are used to model and understand real-world phenomena and make predictions or calculations. It is important to understand the equation in the context of your research in order to accurately apply it to your work.

4. Can you explain the steps for solving this equation?

Solving an equation involves performing a series of mathematical operations in order to find the value of an unknown variable. The specific steps for solving an equation depend on the type of equation and the mathematical operations involved. However, in general, the goal is to isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations on both sides.

5. How can I check if my solution to the equation is correct?

To check if your solution to an equation is correct, you can substitute the value of the unknown variable back into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or graphing software to plot the equation and see if the point representing your solution falls on the graph. If it does, then your solution is likely correct.