Understanding Probability: Machine Choosing Digits & Blinking Intervals

• Thread starter aerosmith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of probability and how it applies to selecting numbers from a set. It also mentions the issue of defining probabilities over an infinite set and how it may not make sense. Another question is posed about a machine blinking at different intervals, but the answer is not clear due to the concept of infinity.
aerosmith
i recently thought of something regarding probability. and i have no clear answer to the question, i stumbled onto this site and thus needs all your help.

if there is a machine that chooses a digit between 0 to 9 , what's the probability it chooses 1? well, my answer is 0.1, fact is, 0.1 is the probability the machine will choose 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0.

here comes the problem, if the machine is asked to choose between 0 to infinity, the probability for a number to be chosen is now 1/inf=0 , then i wonder if it makes any sense or not.

so please enlighten my stupid brain, i know this is simple for u all, but thanks anyway.

another question along the same lines is imagine a machine that blinks every 1-9 seconds, thus on average, the machine blinks every 5 seconds. what is the machine is made to blink every 1 to inf seconds, the machine blinks every ___ seconds?
i am really confused about this one. i thought about these two questions when i was learning probability.

once again, thanks for all u ppl help

Physics news on Phys.org
aerosmith said:
if there is a machine that chooses a digit between 0 to 9 , what's the probability it chooses 1? well, my answer is 0.1, fact is, 0.1 is the probability the machine will choose 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0.
This would be correct if the probability of choosing any given number is equal.

here comes the problem, if the machine is asked to choose between 0 to infinity, the probability for a number to be chosen is now 1/inf=0 , then i wonder if it makes any sense or not.
If you could randomly select a number between zero and one the probability of selecting any number would be zero. Yet you must select something. Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean it is impossible.

another question along the same lines is imagine a machine that blinks every 1-9 seconds, thus on average, the machine blinks every 5 seconds. what is the machine is made to blink every 1 to inf seconds, the machine blinks every ___ seconds?
i am really confused about this one. i thought about these two questions when i was learning probability.

once again, thanks for all u ppl help

Well, if all time delays between 1 to are infinity are equally probable then you could be waiting a very long time for the machine to blink.

if the machine is asked to choose between 0 to infinity, the probability for a number to be chosen is now 1/inf=0
You seem to have started your question with a discrete uniform distribution defined over integers from 0 to 9. If you extend its range to the entire set of nonnegative integers then the probability for any number being selected will be zero. The expected value (the mean) is then defined as [itex]\sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} xp(x)[/itex] = [itex]\sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} 0[/itex] = 0, but it is intuitively clear that the expected value cannot be zero. (In fact, the "intuitive" value of the mean is [itex]+\infty/2 =+\infty[/itex].) So you are right, it does not make sense to define discrete uniform probabilities over a (countably) infinite set.

Last edited:
In my previous post, [itex]\sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} xp(x)[/itex] should have been "undefined" and not 0.

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} xp(x) = \sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} (x \times 0) = 0 \times \sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} x = 0 \times (+\infty) = \text{undefined.}[/itex]

What is the purpose of "Help needed for question"?

The purpose of "Help needed for question" is to provide assistance or guidance to individuals who have a question or need help with a particular topic or problem.

How can I get help for my question?

You can get help for your question by reaching out to experts in the field, consulting online resources, or asking for assistance from peers or colleagues.

Why is it important to ask for help when needed?

Asking for help when needed is important because it allows you to gain a better understanding of a topic or problem, learn from others, and potentially find a solution more efficiently.

Is there a specific format or way to ask for help?

There is no specific format or way to ask for help, but it is important to be clear and specific about your question or problem in order to receive the most helpful responses.

What are some common mistakes people make when asking for help?

Some common mistakes people make when asking for help include being too vague or general with their question, not providing enough context or background information, and not being open to different perspectives or solutions.