Help Needed: Rewriting Covariant Derivative to Killing Equations

In summary, the homework statement says that we need to solve for the Killing equations, which are equations that relate the adjoints of a vector valued function. The Attempt at a Solution states that we need to first rewrite the covariant derivative in terms of the partial derivatives, and then lower the vector in the partial derivatives to obtain the equations.
trv
A little stuck while working through a derivation. Hope someone can help.

Homework Statement

Starting from

[itex]
-\xi^c(\Gamma^d_{ca}g_{db}+\Gamma^d_{cb}g_{ad})+\partial_b\xi^dg_{ad}+\partial_a\xi^cg_{cb}=0
[/itex]

I need to obtain the Killing equations, i.e.

[itex]
\bigtriangledown_b\xi_a+\bigtriangledown_a\xi_b=0
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working backwards...

Rewriting the covariant derivative in terms of the partial derivative gives

[itex]
\bigtriangledown_b\xi_a+\bigtriangledown_a\xi_b=\partial_a\xi_b+\partial_b\xi_a-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c=0
[/itex]

Lowering the vector in the partial derivatives gives...

[itex]
\partial_a\xi_b+\partial_b\xi_a-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c=-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c+\partial_b\xi^dg_{ad}+\partial_a\xi^cg_{cb}=0
[/itex]

I don't however know how to go from

[itex]
-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c[/itex]

to

[itex]
-\xi^c(\Gamma^d_{ca}g_{db}+\Gamma^d_{cb}g_{ad}[/itex])

Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
trv said:
A little stuck while working through a derivation. Hope someone can help.

Homework Statement

Starting from

[itex]
-\xi^c(\Gamma^d_{ca}g_{db}+\Gamma^d_{cb}g_{ad})+\partial_b\xi^dg_{ad}+\partial_a\xi^cg_{cb}=0
[/itex]

I need to obtain the Killing equations, i.e.

[itex]
\bigtriangledown_b\xi_a+\bigtriangledown_a\xi_b=0
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working backwards...

Rewriting the covariant derivative in terms of the partial derivative gives

[itex]
\bigtriangledown_b\xi_a+\bigtriangledown_a\xi_b=\partial_a\xi_b+\partial_b\xi_a-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c=0
[/itex]

Lowering the vector in the partial derivatives gives...

[itex]
\partial_a\xi_b+\partial_b\xi_a-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c=-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c+\partial_b\xi^dg_{ad}+\partial_a\xi^cg_{cb}=0
[/itex]

I don't however know how to go from

[itex]
-\Gamma^c_{ba}\xi_c-\Gamma^c_{ab}\xi_c[/itex]

to

[itex]
-\xi^c(\Gamma^d_{ca}g_{db}+\Gamma^d_{cb}g_{ad}[/itex])

Can someone help?

its a little difficult to show. first you should replace Xi with Xi*metric, then use this metric to lower the index on Gamma, then replace this Gamma with Gamma*metric, which is what we want. hopefully that makes some sense.

Thanks, it does make sense.

[itex]
\xi^c\Gamma^d_{ca}g_{bd}=\xi_eg^{ce}\Gamma^d_{ca}g_{bd}=\xi_eg^{ce}\Gamma_{bca}=\xi_e\Gamma^e_{ba}=\xi_c\Gamma^c_{ba}
[/itex]

Related to Help Needed: Rewriting Covariant Derivative to Killing Equations

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and tensor calculus to describe how a vector or tensor field changes along a given direction. It accounts for the curvature and geometry of the underlying space, and is essential for formulating physical laws in curved spaces.

2. What are the Killing equations?

The Killing equations are a set of differential equations in differential geometry that describe the properties of a Killing vector field, which is a vector field that preserves the metric and curvature of a given space. These equations are used to find symmetries and conserved quantities in physical systems.

3. Why is there a need to rewrite the covariant derivative to Killing equations?

Rewriting the covariant derivative to Killing equations allows for a more efficient and elegant formulation of physical laws in curved spaces. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying symmetries and conserved quantities in a given system.

4. What are the applications of the covariant derivative and Killing equations?

The covariant derivative and Killing equations have numerous applications in physics, including general relativity, quantum field theory, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in engineering and computer science, such as in image processing and computer graphics.

5. How can I learn more about the covariant derivative and Killing equations?

There are many resources available for learning about the covariant derivative and Killing equations, including textbooks, online lectures, and research papers. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in differential geometry and tensor calculus before delving into these topics. Seeking guidance from a mentor or professor can also be helpful in understanding these concepts.