Help on email for undergraduate research mentor

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper etiquette for emailing a professor to ask for an internship or mentorship opportunity. The suggestion is to keep the email short, simple, and to the point and to use a professional business letter/cover letter format. It is also recommended to visit the professor during office hours if possible, or to request a meeting to discuss the matter in person. Personal success in obtaining a research opportunity through email is also shared.
sleventh
Hello all,
I am currently emailing a professor asking if he would be willing to mentor me and take me under as an intern. Unfortunately I do not know what is etiquette to state in an email such as this. Ultimately I am asking to meet and discuss the matter but I am unsure how to propose the question in a decent and appealing way. Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated so thank you to any who provide input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does he teach at your school? If so, stopping by his office during office hours is far more effective. Otherwise, look up professional business letter/cover letter format. That's basically it.

Dear Prof. X,
I am a [freshman/sophomore/junior/senior] at university A, studying B. I am very interested in the work you are doing in C and would love to do an REU/research with you. Do you have any positions open for (unpaid) undergrad research students?

Y

Basically, keep it short, simple, and to the point.

Do you already know this professor? Have you taken a class with them previously?

My personal feeling about this is that it should be done in person. When I was an undergrad, I was in a very similar position as you are. I sent an email to each professor I was interested in working with, asking to meet with them to discuss their research. I eventually (after a somewhat comical case of mistaken identity) did some research with a professor for credit, ended up with a co-authorship of an article and set me up nicely for my graduate work.

Good luck.

1. What is the best way to approach a potential undergraduate research mentor via email?

The best way to approach a potential undergraduate research mentor via email is to introduce yourself and briefly explain your interest in their field of research. Be sure to mention any relevant qualifications or experiences that make you a good fit for their work. It's also helpful to mention how you found out about their research and why you specifically want to work with them.

2. How should I structure my email to a potential research mentor?

Your email should be concise and well-organized. Start with a brief introduction about yourself and your interest in their research, followed by a paragraph explaining your relevant qualifications and experiences. Then, ask if they are currently looking for undergraduate research assistants and if they would be willing to meet and discuss the possibility further. End the email with a polite closing and your contact information.

3. How do I address a potential research mentor in my email?

It's important to address a potential research mentor professionally and respectfully. Use their proper title (Dr., Prof., etc.) and last name, unless they have specified otherwise. If you are unsure of their preferred title, it's best to use "Professor" or "Doctor". Avoid using their first name unless they have explicitly stated that it is okay to do so.

4. What information should I include in my email to a potential research mentor?

In addition to introducing yourself and expressing your interest in their research, you should also include your relevant qualifications and experiences. This can include coursework, previous research experience, and any relevant skills or interests. You may also want to mention your availability and any specific research projects or topics that interest you.

5. How long should my email to a potential research mentor be?

Your email should be concise and to the point, so it's generally best to keep it between 3-5 paragraphs. This allows you to introduce yourself, express your interest in their research, and provide relevant information about your qualifications and availability. Be sure to proofread your email and keep it professional and respectful.