Why Does the Integral of Commutator [xp + px] Between Degenerate States Vanish?

• Thread starter klw1026
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Text
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in the Schiff QM chapter 3 where the goal is to show that the integral of u1*(r) [xp + px] u2(r) is equal to 0, where p = (-i/hbar)(∂/∂x) operates on everything to its right. The two individuals discussing the problem have tried different methods such as integration by parts and using the identity for expectation values, but have not been able to solve the problem. One individual suggests adding the two equations together and using the fact that the eigenfunctions belong to the same energy eigenvalue, while another suggests using integration by parts. The conversation ends with a summary of the steps taken so far and the question
klw1026
Schiff QM chapter 3 prob 9
Let u1 (r) and u2 (r) be two eigenfunctions of the same hamiltonian that correspond to the same energy eigenvalue; they may be the same function, or they may be degenerate. Show that
int[u∗1 (r) [xp + px] u2 (r)]dr = 0​
where the momentum operator p = (−i/hbar)(∂ /∂ x) operates on everything to its right.

Another eager mind and myself have been working on this problem for two weeks. We cannot seem to get the right things to line up. We have tried integration by parts, we have used some assumptions on the structure of the eigenfunctions, and we have even used the following identity in order to try and incorporate the hamiltonian into the integral
d/dt(<x^2>)=(1/m)(<xp>+<px>) where <> are the expectation value signs;​

but this fails since the eigenfunctions are of the stationary equation and therefore
independent of time. If anyone could help please let us know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
test
test
test

Hello,

In yuor question, you do not metion that the [tex]u_i(r)[/tex] are three-dimensional or one-dimensional. I make it simply and take it as a one-dimensional problem. If it is three dimensional one, the following still works.

[tex]u_1[/tex] and [tex]u_2[/tex] are corresponding to the same eigenvalue.
The aim of the problem is
[tex]\int u_1(x)\left(x\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}x\right)u_2(x)dx=0.[/tex]
Therefore this should be satisfied, too.
[tex]\int u_2(x)\left(x\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}x\right)u_1(x)dx=0.[/tex]
One can sum of the left hand side of the two equations, integrate by part, and obtain that the sum vanishes.
I drop the detail calculation above.
But logivally speaking, a prerequisite should be satisfied in my method:
" FOR ANY TWO "[tex]u_1[/tex] and [tex]u_2[/tex] of the same eigenenergy,...

Hope these helpful

Last edited:
Dear Variation,
I do not follow what you are trying to do. Are you suggesting to add the two equations together? Keep in mind the eigenfunctions to the left of the two operators are complex conjugates. Can you please expand your details some more, if at all possible. Also, how does this method utilize the fact that the eigenfunctions belong to the same energy eigenvalue? Thank you for the time you spent on the problem.

Hello,

Yes, ok! Sorry, I take the box as nothng.
So, it is complex conjugate.
Thank you

Yes, everything you wrote in your first reply is correct, except that U1(x) is the complex conjugate. Also, how are you getting those beautiful mathematical fonts into the blog? I wrote the question in LaTeX but it did not transfer into the blog correctly.

Of course I mean the first equation is where U1(x) is the conjugate, in the second equation it would be U2(x). Sorry!

Is this problem at all done?

I am trying to do this problem and another of like category and posted here in this forum.

But I am not finfing this to be helpful.

Integration by parts will not help as one cannot discard some terms by demandiong that they vanish at infinity.

I+I=2I= ∫ u1* (xp+px) u2 dx + ∫ u2* (xp+px) u1 dx

= ∫ u1* xp u2 dx + ∫ u2* xp u1 dx + ∫ u1* px u2 dx + ∫ u2* px u1 dx

= (u1, xp u2)+ (u2, xp u1)+ (u1, px u2)+ (u2, px u1)

= (px u1, u2)+ (px u2, u1)+ (u1, px u2)+ (u2, px u1)

Now this should be zero...But how to prove that?

1. What is Schiff's QM text?

Schiff's QM text refers to the book "Quantum Mechanics" written by Leonard Schiff, which is a popular textbook on the subject of quantum mechanics. It covers a wide range of topics including wave mechanics, matrix mechanics, and perturbation theory.

2. Why do I need help with Schiff's QM text?

Schiff's QM text can be challenging for those who are new to the subject of quantum mechanics. It covers complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong understanding of physics. Seeking help can clarify any confusion and provide a better understanding of the material.

3. Where can I find help for problems in Schiff's QM text?

There are various resources available for help with problems in Schiff's QM text. You can consult your professor or teaching assistant, join study groups or forums, or seek online resources such as tutorial videos or practice problems with solutions.

4. How should I approach solving problems in Schiff's QM text?

It is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and theories discussed in the text before attempting to solve problems. Start by carefully reading the problem and identifying the key concepts involved. Then, apply the appropriate mathematical principles and equations to solve the problem step by step.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with problems in Schiff's QM text?

If you are still struggling with problems in Schiff's QM text, do not hesitate to seek additional help from your professor, teaching assistant, or peers. Practice and review the material regularly, and try to identify any areas of weakness to focus on. Remember that mastering quantum mechanics takes time and effort, so do not get discouraged and keep persisting.