1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help please! simple Physics frictionless crate on ramp problem! Urgent?

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    Help please! simple Physics frictionless crate on ramp problem! Urgent!?

A crate of mass m = 100 kg is pushed at constant speed up a frictionless ramp (θ = 30.0°) by a horizontal force F. What are the magnitudes of (a) F and (b) the force on the crate from the ramp?

So my teacher did this problem but I do not understand

here's what he did:

a) mg sin θ = 100(9.8)sin30 = 490 N (I understand this part)
    490 / cos30 = 566N <--Why divide by cos 30 to get the correct answer?!?

b) N = mg cos θ + F sin θ
    100(9.8)cos30 + 566sin30 = 1131N <--I do not understand part b) at all. Can someone explain step by step on what we are doing on part b).

help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2
    Re: Help please! simple Physics frictionless crate on ramp problem! Urgent!?

help i have a test tmrw!

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Help please! simple Physics frictionless crate on ramp problem! Urgent!?

Choose the x axis as the axis parallel to the plane and the y axis perpendicular to the plane. The applied force is horizontal and you can break it up onto its x and y components. Then use newton 1 in the x direction and newton 1 in the y direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook