Help please with this integral involving an inverse trig function

In summary, the author tried different substitutions for the function ##cos x##, but all of them resulted in a contradiction because the function is not continuous at that point.
madafo3435
No Effort - Member warned that some effort must be shown
Homework Statement
I have problems evaluating this integral because every substitution I use turns out to have a discontinuous derivative, or the composition is not well defined.

I write the integral below
Relevant Equations
I can't advance much in the integral because of what I mention below
## \int_0 ^ {2 \pi} \frac {dx} {3 + cos (x)} ##

las únicas formas que probé fueron, multiplicar por ## \frac{3-cos (x)}{3-cos (x)} ## pero no me gusta esto porque obtengo una expresión muy complicada. También recurrí a la sustitución ## t = tan (\frac {x} {2}) ## que me gusta bastante, pero encuentro que esta función es discontinua en ## \frac {\pi } {2} ## así que no he podido escribir mucho. También probé la sustitución ## cos (x) = \frac {1-t ^ 2} {1 + t ^ 2} ##, pero obtengo el mismo problema con ## \frac{\pi }{2} ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to see which ones you tried. PF guidelines require you post your attempt(s)

Use Weierstrass, ##t = \tan{\frac{x}{2}}##. It is quite a useful substitution for fractions with stubborn trig functions.

Likes PeroK
BvU said:
I'd like to see which ones you tried. PF guidelines require you post your attempt(s)
sorry, it was my mistake not to indicate my attempts. However, the only ways I tried were, multiply by ##\frac {3-cos(x)}{3-cos(x)}## but I don't like this because I get a very complicated expression. I also resorted to the substitution recommended by etotheipi, using the substitution ##t=tan(\frac {x}{2})## which I quite like, but I find that this function is discontinuous in ## \frac {\pi}{2}## so I haven't been able to write much. Also i tried the substitution ##cos(x)=\frac {1-t^2}{1+t^2} ##, but i get the same problem whit ##\frac {\pi}{2} ##

etotheipi said:
Use Weierstrass, ##t = \tan{\frac{x}{2}}##. It is quite a useful substitution for fractions with stubborn trig functions.
i tried that substitution, but i have problem whit ##\frac {\pi}{2} ## because this function it not continuous at this point.

You want to use it anyway :smile: maybe it doesn't crash...
What is ##dx## in terms of ##t## and ##dt## ?

Likes madafo3435 and etotheipi
BvU said:
i find this: ##dx=2cos^2(\frac{x}{2})dt ##. But, I understand that any substitution must be to belong to ##C^1## or is it not necessary?

BvU said:
please observe this attempted solution. By applying the weistrass substitution carelessly, I obtain that the value of the proposed integral gives 0, which is contradictory, since this integral exists and must be positive.

Attachments

• integral.pdf
    850.4 KB · Views: 174
madafo3435 said:
i find this: ##dx=2cos^2(\frac{x}{2})dt ##. But, I understand that any substitution must be to belong to ##C^1## or is it not necessary?
As a first step, I looked at the graph of ##\cos x## and reduced the integral to:
$$\int_0^{2\pi} \frac {dx} {3 + cos x} = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac 1 {3 + \cos x} + 2\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac 1 {3 - \cos x} dx = 12\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac {dx} {9 - \cos^2 x}$$
That gets rid of all the problems with discontinuities.

Now, think ##\sec^2x## and ##\tan^2 x## perhaps.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and madafo3435
madafo3435 said:
please observe this attempted solution. By applying the weistrass substitution carelessly, I obtain that the value of the proposed integral gives 0, which is contradictory, since this integral exists and must be positive.

I haven't lookd carefully at this, but doesn't
$$\int_\pi ^ {2\pi} \frac{dx}{3 + \cos x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \tan^{-1} u|_{-\infty}^0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[0 - \left( -\frac{\pi}{2} \right)\right]$$

George Jones said:
I haven't lookd carefully at this, but doesn't
$$\int_\pi ^ {2\pi} \frac{dx}{3 + \cos x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \tan^{-1} u|_{-\infty}^0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[0 - \left( -\frac{\pi}{2} \right)\right]$$
you're right, the integration limits confused me. If so, I am satisfied with a solution. thank you

PeroK said:
As a first step, I looked at the graph of ##\cos x## and reduced the integral to:
$$\int_0^{2\pi} \frac {dx} {3 + cos x} = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac 1 {3 + \cos x} + 2\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac 1 {3 - \cos x} dx = 12\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac {dx} {9 - \cos^2 x}$$
That gets rid of all the problems with discontinuities.

Now, think ##\sec^2x## and ##\tan^2 x## perhaps.
interesting your idea, I like it a lot, I will try to solve it by this method. thanks for your idea

Likes Lnewqban
Thank you all for your support, I am satisfied!

Likes BvU
One way to avoid this is to note (by, e.g., looking at the graph) that the integrand is even about ##\pi##. It is easily shown algebraically that the integrand evaluated at ##\pi - x## is the same as the integrand evaluated at ##\pi + x##. Consequently, ##\int_0^{2\pi} = 2 \int_0^{\pi}##.

George Jones said:
One way to avoid this is to note (by, e.g., looking at the graph) that the integrand is even about ##\pi##. It is easily shown algebraically that the integrand evaluated at ##\pi - x## is the same as the integrand evaluated at ##\pi + x##. Consequently, ##\int_0^{2\pi} = 2 \int_0^{\pi}##.
I will keep it in mind, thank you very much for your consideration

1. What is an inverse trig function?

An inverse trig function is the opposite of a regular trig function. It takes the output of a trig function and returns the angle that produced that output.

2. Why is an inverse trig function used in this integral?

Inverse trig functions are commonly used in integrals because they allow us to find the angle that produced a certain output, which is necessary for solving the integral.

3. How do I solve an integral involving an inverse trig function?

To solve an integral involving an inverse trig function, you can use substitution or integration by parts. First, identify the inverse trig function and then use the appropriate method to solve the integral.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an integral involving an inverse trig function. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the solution rather than relying solely on a calculator.

5. What are some common inverse trig functions used in integrals?

Some common inverse trig functions used in integrals include arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. Other inverse trig functions such as arcsecant, arccosecant, and arccotangent may also be used in certain cases.