1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to deal w/ inverse trig function within ∫(x)/((x^2-4)(√(x^4 -8)))?

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    Evaluate the integral [tex] \int \frac{x}{(x^2 - 4) \sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, dx [/tex]

by making the substitution [itex]u = x^{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]u = x^{2} - 4[/itex] so [itex]\frac{du}{2}= xdx[/itex]

[tex] \int \frac{1}{(x^2 - 4) \sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, xdx [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{(u) \sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{(u)} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{(u)} \frac{1}{|x|\sqrt{x^2 - 8}} \, du[/tex]

I haven't yet committed all of the inverse trig functions to memory but I have a table that shows dy/d[itex]sec^{-1}(x) = \frac{1}{|x| \sqrt{x^2 - 1}}[/itex]

However, I do not know how to handle [itex]\frac{1}{|x| \sqrt{x^2 - 8}}[/itex]

What does that equal and why? I mean what is the relationship between it and whatever it's antiderivative may be?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try doing it in two steps. Use the hint and make the first substitution u=x2. Rewrite everything in terms of u. Then complete the square inside the radical and go from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook