How to deal w/ inverse trig function within ∫(x)/((x^2-4)(√(x^4 -8)))?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
LearninDaMath
Messages
295
Reaction score
0
Evaluate the integral [tex]\int \frac{x}{(x^2 - 4) \sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, dx[/tex]

by making the substitution [itex]u = x^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]u = x^{2} - 4[/itex] so [itex]\frac{du}{2}= xdx[/itex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{(x^2 - 4) \sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, xdx[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{(u) \sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, du[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{(u)} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^4 - 8x^2}} \, du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{(u)} \frac{1}{|x|\sqrt{x^2 - 8}} \, du[/tex]I haven't yet committed all of the inverse trig functions to memory but I have a table that shows dy/d[itex]sec^{-1}(x) = \frac{1}{|x| \sqrt{x^2 - 1}}[/itex]

However, I do not know how to handle [itex]\frac{1}{|x| \sqrt{x^2 - 8}}[/itex]

What does that equal and why? I mean what is the relationship between it and whatever it's antiderivative may be?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing it in two steps. Use the hint and make the first substitution u=x2. Rewrite everything in terms of u. Then complete the square inside the radical and go from there.