Help required integrating this function over all time

In summary, the probability of two photons interfering at a beamsplitter is determined by integrating over all time, and is equal to the product of the two exponents and a cosine function.
Baggio
Hello,

I am trying to derive a function which describes the probability of two-photons interfering at a beamsplitter however I'm stuck on this particular integral. I need to solve:

[tex]P(\tau,\delta\tau,\Delta)=\frac{1}{4}\int|\zeta_{1}(t+\tau)\zeta_{2}(t)-\zeta_{1}(t)\zeta_{2}(t+\tau)|^2dt[/tex]

The integral is over all t, i.e. t = -infinity to t = infinity

Where |...|^2 means the terms inside are multiplied by it's complex conjugate, and

[tex]
\[
\begin{array}{l}
\zeta _1 (t) = \sqrt[4]{{\frac{2}{\pi }}}\exp ( - (t - \delta \tau /2) - i(\omega - \Delta /2)){\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t - \delta \tau /2 > 0 \\
\zeta _1 (t) = 0{\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t - \delta \tau /2 < 0 \\
\zeta _2 (t) = \sqrt[4]{{\frac{2}{\pi }}}\exp ( - (t + \delta \tau /2) - i(\omega + \Delta /2)){\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t + \delta \tau /2 > 0 \\
\zeta _2 (t) = 0{\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t + \delta \tau /2 < 0 \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

Here [tex]\tau, \delta\tau, \omega, \Delta[/tex] and t are real

The function that I expect to derive is:

[tex]
\[
P(\tau ,\delta \tau ,\Delta ) = \frac{1}{2}\exp \left( { - 2\left| {\delta \tau - \tau } \right|} \right) + \frac{1}{2}\exp \left( { - 2\left| {\delta \tau + \tau } \right|} \right) - \cos \left( {\left| \tau \right|\Delta } \right)\frac{1}{2}\exp \left( { - 2\left| {\delta \tau } \right| + \left| \tau \right|} \right)
\]
[/tex]

|...| denotes absolute value.

In the integral above would I have to split it up into several contributions depending on which condition on "t" is satisfied. Also I don't see how integrating this function could lead to the absolute value terms in function P.

If anyone could offer any help at all I'd be very greatful... My research is stagnent because of this!

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? :/

I'd have to consult my physics professor D=

hehe, i don't think it should be that difficult btw in the eqs above it should be

[tex]

\[
\begin{array}{l}
\zeta _1 (t) = \sqrt[4]{{\frac{2}{\pi }}}\exp ( - (t - \delta \tau /2) - i(\omega - \Delta /2)t){\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t - \delta \tau /2 > 0 \\
\zeta _1 (t) = 0{\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t - \delta \tau /2 < 0 \\
\zeta _2 (t) = \sqrt[4]{{\frac{2}{\pi }}}\exp ( - (t + \delta \tau /2) - i(\omega + \Delta /2)t){\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t + \delta \tau /2 > 0 \\
\zeta _2 (t) = 0{\rm{ }}\forall {\rm{ }}t + \delta \tau /2 < 0 \\
\end{array}
\]

[/tex]

it's just math :/

bump..

What is the function being integrated?

The specific function being integrated will vary depending on the context and problem being studied. It could be a mathematical function, a physical equation, or even a statistical model.

Why is it necessary to integrate over all time?

Integrating over all time can provide important information and insights about a system or process that is constantly changing. It can help us understand the long-term behavior and trends of a function or phenomenon.

What are the challenges of integrating over all time?

Integrating over all time can be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques such as calculus and differential equations. It also requires accurate and precise data and assumptions about the system being studied.

What are the potential applications of integrating over all time?

Integrating over all time has a wide range of applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to solve complex problems, make predictions, and analyze data in order to better understand and improve systems and processes.

How can one improve their skills in integrating over all time?

Improving skills in integrating over all time requires practice and a thorough understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from experienced professionals and to constantly seek out new challenges and problems to solve.