Help setting up a CHEM E problem

• Thread starter smatt_31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the question is asking for the minimum inside diameter of a pipe needed to feed three fillers at different capacities through a single line without exceeding a velocity of 1.2m/s, due to shear at the pipe wall. The solution involves calculating the mass and volumetric flow rates, and using the equation v1A1=v2A2 to determine the size of the pipe. After some confusion and incorrect assumptions, it is determined that the minimum inside diameter needed is 2.75 cm.
smatt_31
[SOLVED] help setting up a CHEM E problem

Homework Statement

Three fillers used in packaging a pharmaceutical emulsion (ro = 1050kg/m^3) are fed from a single product line. One filler has a capacity of 2700kg/h, the second operates at
4600 kg/h and the third at 6800 kg/h. The emulsion is susceptible to damage at velocities greater that 1.2m/s, due to shear at the pipe wall. What size (ie minimum inside diameter) in cm should be used to feed the fillers through a single line?

Homework Equations

ro = mass flow rate / volumetric flow rate and do i use the v1A2=v2A2 where v = velocity and A = area to determine the size of thepipe.

b]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

ok so i add the mass flow rates and get 14,100 kg/h then i thought i should make this kg/s so i got 235 kg/s then into volumetric flow 235/1050 = 0.224 m^3/s

now i draw a blank why can't i remember how to make m^3 into m do i cube root or ?? and then do i use the v1a1=v2a2 do set up my pipe??

Physics news on Phys.org
well I made a mistake reading the problem i was assuming that the three fillers were supplying the single pipe. The only thing to determine is what size of pipe is needed to supply the three fillers not to exceed 1.2 m/s.

My class partner has made this conclusion

(2700 kg/h) / (3600 s) / (1050 kg/m^3) / (1.2 m/s) / pi / sqrt *2

so we have the pipe equal to 2.75 cm when all is said and done does anyone agree with this conclusion

To solve this problem, we first need to determine the total volumetric flow rate for the three fillers. As you correctly calculated, the total mass flow rate is 14,100 kg/h, which can be converted to 3.9167 kg/s. Then, using the density of the emulsion, we can calculate the total volumetric flow rate to be 0.00373 m^3/s.

To determine the minimum inside diameter of the pipe, we can use the equation v1A1 = v2A2, where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe and v is the velocity. Since we know the maximum velocity allowed is 1.2 m/s, we can set up the equation as 1.2A1 = 0.00373, where A1 is the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

To convert from m^3 to m, we can use the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the pipe. So, we can rewrite the equation as 1.2πr^2 = 0.00373. Solving for r, we get a radius of 0.0208 m or 2.08 cm.

Therefore, the minimum inside diameter of the pipe should be 4.16 cm (since diameter is equal to twice the radius). This will ensure that the velocity of the emulsion does not exceed 1.2 m/s and cause any damage.

1. How do I approach setting up a CHEM E problem?

To set up a CHEM E problem, you should first understand the given scenario and identify the key variables and equations involved. Then, you can use dimensional analysis and unit conversions to ensure that all units are consistent. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What should I do if I don't understand the given scenario?

If you are having trouble understanding the given scenario, you can try breaking it down into smaller parts and focusing on one aspect at a time. You can also consult your textbook or class notes for similar examples to get a better understanding of the concepts involved.

3. How important is it to use correct units in CHEM E problems?

Using correct units is crucial in CHEM E problems, as it ensures that your calculations are accurate and that the final answer is in the desired unit. It also helps to catch any potential errors and can make the problem easier to understand and solve.

4. Can I use a calculator for CHEM E problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator for CHEM E problems. In fact, it is recommended to use a calculator for more complex calculations and to save time. However, make sure to show your work and include all units in your calculations.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by using estimation or by using a different method to solve the problem. You can also ask a classmate or professor for help in checking your answer. Additionally, some textbooks may have answers to odd-numbered problems, which you can use to check your work.