1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help setting up a CHEM E problem

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] help setting up a CHEM E problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three fillers used in packaging a pharmaceutical emulsion (ro = 1050kg/m^3) are fed from a single product line. One filler has a capacity of 2700kg/h, the second operates at
    4600 kg/h and the third at 6800 kg/h. The emulsion is susceptible to damage at velocities greater that 1.2m/s, due to shear at the pipe wall. What size (ie minimum inside diameter) in cm should be used to feed the fillers through a single line?
    2. Relevant equations
    ro = mass flow rate / volumetric flow rate and do i use the v1A2=v2A2 where v = velocity and A = area to determine the size of thepipe.

b]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]

ok so i add the mass flow rates and get 14,100 kg/h then i thought i should make this kg/s so i got 235 kg/s then into volumetric flow 235/1050 = 0.224 m^3/s

now i draw a blank why cant i remember how to make m^3 into m do i cube root or ?? and then do i use the v1a1=v2a2 do set up my pipe??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2
    well I made a mistake reading the problem i was assuming that the three fillers were supplying the single pipe. The only thing to determine is what size of pipe is needed to supply the three fillers not to exceed 1.2 m/s.

My class partner has made this conclusion

(2700 kg/h) / (3600 s) / (1050 kg/m^3) / (1.2 m/s) / pi / sqrt *2

so we have the pipe equal to 2.75 cm when all is said and done does anyone agree with this conclusion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?