Help: Simple Algebra yet I fail

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, to transform expression 1 to expression 2, you can start by opening up the square brackets and using the property that ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b). Then, add (A-B)*ln(f) - (A-B)*ln(f) to the top and simplify to get (A-B)*ln(c/f)/ln(d/f)+B.
Curl
How can I go from expression 1 to expression 2? Its easy to "show" they are equivalent, but if you started with 1, how will I get to 2? I got no clue how to transform it.

[ (A-B)*ln(c)+( B*ln(d)-A*ln(f) ) ] /ln(d/f)

(A-B)*ln(c/f)/ln(d/f)+B

I bet it's cake and I'm dumb.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Curl! :smile:

Add B*ln(f) - B*ln(f) to the top. :wink:

It is possible to show this, although it is not extremely easy.
One thing you do need is that
ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a / b).

I suggest to start by opening up the "square" brackets.
You can also add 0, in the form (A - B) ln(f) - (A - B) ln(f) = A ln(f) - B ln(f) - (A - B) ln(f).

tiny-tim said:
Hi Curl! :smile:

Add B*ln(f) - B*ln(f) to the top. :wink:

haha, so I was right:

I bet it's cake and I'm dumb.

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself. Algebra can be a challenging subject and it's normal to struggle with certain concepts. That being said, let's take a closer look at the two expressions and see how we can go from expression 1 to expression 2.

The key to transforming expression 1 into expression 2 is to simplify each term and combine like terms. Let's break it down step by step.

Step 1: Simplify the first term
We can simplify (A-B)*ln(c) by using the logarithm rule ln(x^n) = n*ln(x). This means we can rewrite the first term as (A-B)ln(c). Similarly, we can simplify B*ln(d) to just Bln(d).

Step 2: Simplify the second term
Next, we can use the same logarithm rule to simplify A*ln(f) to just Aln(f).

Step 3: Combine like terms
Now that both terms have been simplified, we can combine like terms. We have (A-B)ln(c) and Bln(d) on the top, and Aln(f) on the bottom. In order to combine these terms, we need to find a common denominator. In this case, the common denominator is ln(d/f). Therefore, we can rewrite the expression as [(A-B)ln(c) + Bln(d)]/ln(d/f).

Step 4: Simplify the fraction
Finally, we can simplify the fraction by dividing each term by ln(d/f). This gives us the final expression of (A-B)ln(c/f)/ln(d/f) + B.

As you can see, we have transformed expression 1 into expression 2 by simplifying each term and combining like terms. Practice makes perfect, so keep working on your algebra skills and don't give up. You'll get the hang of it eventually!

1. Why do I keep failing at simple algebra?

Failing at simple algebra can happen for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a lack of understanding of basic algebraic concepts, not practicing enough, or not paying attention to detail. It's important to identify where you are struggling and seek help in those specific areas.

2. Is there a quick and easy way to learn algebra?

Unfortunately, there is no quick and easy way to learn algebra. It requires practice and patience to fully understand the concepts. However, there are many resources available such as online tutorials, practice problems, and tutoring services that can help make the learning process more manageable.

3. How can I improve my algebra skills?

The best way to improve your algebra skills is through practice. Make sure to fully understand the concepts and then practice solving problems consistently. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor to help you improve.

4. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it is the building block for more advanced math concepts and is used in a variety of fields such as science, engineering, and finance. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in everyday life.

5. What are some common mistakes people make in simple algebra?

Some common mistakes people make in simple algebra include not following the correct order of operations, making errors in simplifying expressions, and forgetting to distribute coefficients. It's important to double-check your work and identify any mistakes to improve your overall understanding of the subject.