How to Simplify the Derivative of sqrt(x/y) + sqrt(y/x)?

• Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the derivative of sqrt x/y + sqrt y/x is equal to y/x. To simplify the equation, the denominators were matched and then the fraction was simplified to show that the derivative is equal to y/x.
yourmom98
okay I am supposed to prove the derivitive of: sqrt x/y + sqrt y/x
is equal to y/x

okay I am stuck where i have finally isolated y' i don't know how to reduce it further I am stuck with this at the moment (see attachment)
can you please tell me the process you went through to simplify it?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    354 bytes · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
It's better if you write out the equation is expanded form:

[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{xy}} - \frac{\sqrt{y}}{x^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{\sqrt{x}}{y^\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{xy}}}[/tex]Doing a couple of simplifying operations

[tex]\frac{\frac{\sqrt{xy}}{xy} - \frac{\sqrt{y}}{x^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{\sqrt{x}}{y^\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{\sqrt{xy}}{xy}}[/tex]

We try to match the denominators

[tex]\frac{\frac{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{xy}}{x^\frac{3}{2}y} - \frac{y\sqrt{y}}{yx^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{x\sqrt{x}}{xy^\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{\sqrt{y}\sqrt{xy}}{xy^\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{x-y}{\sqrt{y}x^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{x-y}{\sqrt{x}y^\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{xy^3}}{\sqrt{yx^3}}[/tex]

okay so how does this prove y' = y/x?

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{xy^3}}{\sqrt{yx^3}}[/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt{\frac{xy^3}{yx^3} [/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt{\frac{y^2}{x^2}} = \frac{y}{x} [/tex]

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In simpler terms, it measures how much a function changes as its input variable changes.

2. Why do we need to simplify derivatives?

Simplifying derivatives can make them easier to understand and work with. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between different functions, making it easier to solve more complex problems.

3. What are some common methods for simplifying derivatives?

Some common methods for simplifying derivatives include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules provide a step-by-step process for finding the derivative of a function.

4. Can derivatives be simplified using software or calculators?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can simplify derivatives. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the rules and concepts involved in order to properly use these tools.

5. How can simplifying derivatives be useful in real-world applications?

Simplifying derivatives is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. It allows us to calculate rates of change and optimize functions, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving and decision-making processes.