Help Solve Physics Problem: Rocket Acceleration in <60 mins

In summary: Did you get it right? I imagine you're using an instant grading homework system?Yes, I am using a homework system.
mattmaka
Urgent help needed on physics problem!

A rocket is launched straight up with constant acceleration. Four seconds after liftoff, a bolt falls off the side of the rocket. The bolt hits the ground 6.40 s later.

What is the rocket's acceleration?

I have less than an hour to answer this online, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea how to relate the distances or anything. Any help in setting up equations would be great.

Ok I made a little mistake before. R is the rocket's acceleration so the displacement for the first 4 seconds is d0 = 0.5 * R * 4^2 = 8R. The velocity it gains during this time is equal to R*T = 4R

Now during the drop the displacement is given by d = d0 + v1*t + 0.5*(-g)*t^2

At t = 6.4 seconds d and d0 are equal. Subbing in some stuff and knowing that d = 0 after 6.4 seconds 0 = 8R + 4R*6.4 - 4.9*6.4^2. Solve for R.

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmaka said:
A rocket is launched straight up with constant acceleration. Four seconds after liftoff, a bolt falls off the side of the rocket. The bolt hits the ground 6.40 s later.

What is the rocket's acceleration?

I have less than an hour to answer this online, please help.
5.95 m/s^2

How did you get the answer tony?

Thaore0 said:
How did you get the answer tony?
I wrote a computer program, trying different values for a, until t = 10.4
Code:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim a As Double, Vrocket As Double, Vbolt As Double, pRocket As Double, pBolt As Double
Dim t As Double, sstep As Double

sstep = 0.01
pRocket = 0
Vrocket = 0
a = 5.95

For t = 0 To 4 Step sstep
    Vrocket = Vrocket + a * sstep
    pRocket = pRocket + Vrocket
Next t

pBolt = pRocket
Vbolt = Vrocket
t = 4 + sstep

While pBolt > 0
    Vbolt = Vbolt - 9.81 * sstep
    pBolt = pBolt + Vbolt
    t = t + sstep
Wend
Text1.Text = t
End Sub

Sweet! Is that Visual Basic?

Thaore0 said:
Sweet! Is that Visual Basic?
Yes, VB 6.0. That's how I do the problems I can't quite understand. It's called a numerical solution. There are some problems where no analytical solution exists, and a numerical solution is necessary.

But I'm sure that an analytical solution exists for this problem, and I'm waiting to see if someone knows it. This is the type of problem I'm going to face in about 2 weeks. (And I'm not allowed to bring my laptop to tests :smile: )

Read my post above sorry I posted an incorrect solution before it's about 5.96.

thanks for the help guys.

mattmaka said:
thanks for the help guys.
Did you get it right? I imagine you're using an instant grading homework system?

Related to Help Solve Physics Problem: Rocket Acceleration in <60 mins

1. What is the equation for calculating rocket acceleration?

The equation for calculating rocket acceleration is acceleration = thrust / (rocket mass - fuel burn rate x time). This equation takes into account the thrust of the rocket, the mass of the rocket, and the rate at which fuel is burned over time.

2. How do I determine the thrust of the rocket?

The thrust of a rocket can be determined by multiplying the specific impulse (a measure of rocket engine efficiency) by the rate of fuel consumption. This can also be calculated by dividing the force of the rocket's exhaust by the mass flow rate of the fuel.

3. What is the mass of the rocket for this problem?

The mass of the rocket can vary depending on the specific problem. To solve for acceleration, you will need to know the initial mass of the rocket and the rate at which fuel is being burned. This can be represented by the equation rocket mass = initial mass - fuel burn rate x time.

4. How do I calculate the fuel burn rate?

The fuel burn rate can be calculated by dividing the total mass of fuel used by the total burn time. This is typically given in units of kilograms per second (kg/s).

5. How does air resistance affect rocket acceleration?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on rocket acceleration. As the rocket moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which can slow it down. This force is known as drag. To account for air resistance, you can adjust the thrust value in the acceleration equation by subtracting the drag force from it.