1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help to see if this function is diffentiable

1. May 6, 2006 #1
    Hello,
    I need some help to see if this function is diffentiable at [tex]x_{0}=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
    the function is f(x)=|sin(x)-cos(x)|
    To do that, you have to find the limit of [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(x_{0})}{x-x_{0}}[/tex] as x-> pi/4
    So I get [tex]\frac{sin(x)-cos(x)}{x-\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex]but I don't know what to do after...any help or hints would be appreciated
    Thanks

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

since sin(x) and cos(x) are equal at x=pi/4, we have

[tex]f(x) = | \sin (x)- \cos (x)| = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\cos (x)-\sin (x) ,&\mbox{ if } 0\leq x\leq \frac{\pi}{4}\\ \sin (x)- \cos (x), & \mbox{ if } \frac{\pi}{4}\leq x \leq \pi\end{array}\right. [/tex]

now compute the derivative using the formula

[tex]f^{\prime} (x_0) = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+h) -f(x_0)}{h}[/tex]

since f(x) is piecewise defined, use left- and right-handed limits to comput the above limit, here is the first one

[tex]f_{-}^{\prime} \left( \frac{\pi}{4}\right) = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^{-}} \frac{\cos\left( \frac{\pi}{4}+h\right) -\sin\left( \frac{\pi}{4}+h\right) -0}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^{-}} \frac{\cos\left( \frac{\pi}{4}\right) \cos (h) -\sin\left( \frac{\pi}{4}\right) \sin (h) - \sin\left( \frac{\pi}{4}\right) \cos(h)- \cos\left( \frac{\pi}{4}\right) \sin (h)}{h}[/tex]
    [tex] =\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^{-}} \frac{-2\sin (h)}{h} = -\sqrt{2}[/tex]

now do the right-hand limit to finish-up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?