Help turning 2 sentences into a flow chart of actions

• B
  • Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
Spinnor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Maybe not the right sub-forum?

I have a form to complete in which 2 sentences need to be converted into a flow chart of action which I think I understand but maybe I don't and would appreciate your consideration. Please consider the following scanned passage starting at Spousal Consent,

1581603562398.png

It says, "If you are married and you elect annuity option (1) or (4) ..." this is not true, as I choose option (3), so we can ignore this first part. Continue reading the above passage with the first part of the passage removed because it does not apply to me. It would then read, "If you are married and you elect another annuity option..." this part is true but the next part is false, "... but designate a beneficiary other than your spouse..." that part is not true as I have designated my wife as my beneficiary, it continues, "..., your spouse must consent to your election in Part D below."

Bottom line, if I designate a beneficiary other than my wife she must consent and sign part D, but this is not the case so her signature is not needed?

Thanks for any help.

Answers and Replies

There are two choices that require your wife’s signature:

1) if you are married and you select options 1 or 4 then your wife must sign in part D.

2) if you are married and you select some other option and your wife is not the beneficiary then your wife must sign in part D.

It looks like these choices cover cases where you wife won’t get your pension and so because of that your wife must sign to agree that’s okay with her.

i would have thought the choices would be more gender neutral using spouse instead of wife.

in the US, there have been cases where the wife accidentally lost the pension benefits of her husband because he chose the wrong option.

in one case, a woman had designated her sister as beneficiary when she first got her job and then some time later got married and many decades later she died having never changed the beneficiary. The sister got it all and the husband nothing And the sister didn’t share it. Laws were enacted to require spousal notification to prevent this from happening.

Spinnor
Gold Member
Thank you, looks like I got it right, secretary in charge insisted wife needed to sign.

I read a financial advice column where the wife says I want a divorce, the guy then cashes his life insurance and signs over his pension benefits to his mother and then kills himself. Lawyers were the only winners. Be really nice to your spouse and learn when to take the higher road and shut up.