Help Brad Understand: Aiming for a Coconut With His Slingshot

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slingshot
In summary, the problem is about a boy trying to knock down a coconut using a rock and his slingshot. The coconut is 3m above the slingshot and 4m away from the tree. The boy knows that the release speed of his rock is 20m/s. He needs to find the angle at which he should aim the rock to hit the coconut. After several calculations and using equations of motion, the boy finds that he should aim at an angle of 0.99 degrees and the time it takes for the rock to reach the coconut is 3.92 seconds. However, there are two possible solutions and the boy needs to choose the right one in order to hit the coconut.
brad sue
Hi,
Please help me to understand this question of the problem:

A boy wants to knock down a coconut with a rock and his slingshot. He observes that the coconut is about 3.0m above his slingshot and the tree is 4.0m away along the ground.
He knows from experience that the release speed of his rock is 20m/s.
How far above the coconut should he aim?

I don't understand what I am asking to do here. Please can someone help me?

brad

Physics news on Phys.org
If gravity didn't exist, the boy would aim directly at the coconut, since the rock would travel in a straight line. But gravity does exist. Realize that, compared to where it would have gone with no gravity, the rock falls a certain distance. That distance is how far above the monkey you have to aim.

Another way to look at it: What angle must the rock be shot at to hit the coconut? Once you find that angle, you can see where the straight line path would have been.

Doc Al said:
If gravity didn't exist, the boy would aim directly at the coconut, since the rock would travel in a straight line. But gravity does exist. Realize that, compared to where it would have gone with no gravity, the rock falls a certain distance. That distance is how far above the monkey you have to aim.

Another way to look at it: What angle must the rock be shot at to hit the coconut? Once you find that angle, you can see where the straight line path would have been.

Doc, I have a problem to find the angle. I try to use the equations of motion but I have too many unknow : tfinal, vy/final, and the angle itself.

vy/final=vy/initial-g(ty/final)

yfinal=yinitial+vy/initial*tfinal-.5*(g)yfinal2

those two equations give respectively:

vy/final=20*sin(θ )-9.81*tfinal

4=0+ 20sin(θ )*tfinal-4.9*tfinal2

Do i miss something here?
please help

brad

You have the vertical distance as a function of time. Good! But what about the horizontal distance?

Doc Al said:
You have the vertical distance as a function of time. Good! But what about the horizontal distance?

xfinal=xinitial+vx/initial*tfinal
That gives:
3=0+20cos(θ )* tfinal

brad sue said:
xfinal=xinitial+vx/initial*tfinal
That gives:
3=0+20cos(θ )* tfinal
Good! (I think you mean 4, not 3.) Now combine that with the equation for vertical motion.

Two things:
(1) I think you have mixed up the 3 and the 4. According to your first post:
the coconut is about 3.0m above his slingshot and the tree is 4.0m away along the ground

(2) Here's a trick that may help you combine those two equations. For each equation, isolate the term with the sin or cos. Then square both sides of each equation. Then add them. (I assume you know a useful trig identity about [itex]\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta[/itex].)

Doc Al said:
Two things:
(1) I think you have mixed up the 3 and the 4. According to your first post:

(2) Here's a trick that may help you combine those two equations. For each equation, isolate the term with the sin or cos. Then square both sides of each equation. Then add them. (I assume you know a useful trig identity about [itex]\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta[/itex].)

Well I found somthing that is not realistic
I change the 3 and 4 into the right equations and I found t=3.92s

and the angle is .99 degree!

What do you think?

Well... I didn't crank out the numbers myself, but does your answer make any sense? After all, without gravity the angle would be [itex]\tan \theta = 3/4[/itex]. So with gravity, the angle must even be greater. Recheck your calculations. (I'll do it myself when I get a few minutes.)

Doc Al said:
Well... I didn't crank out the numbers myself, but does your answer make any sense? After all, without gravity the angle would be [itex]\tan \theta = 3/4[/itex]. So with gravity, the angle must even be greater. Recheck your calculations. (I'll do it myself when I get a few minutes.)
ok i'll do that

I did the calculation and found, as expected, that the angle is slightly greater than that needed for straightline motion. (Note: When solving the quadratic equation, there are two solutions. Only one of them is the one we want.) If you still get an unrealistic answer, post the steps just as you did them.

Doc Al said:
I did the calculation and found, as expected, that the angle is slightly greater than that needed for straightline motion. (Note: When solving the quadratic equation, there are two solutions. Only one of them is the one we want.) If you still get an unrealistic answer, post the steps just as you did them.

I have te two equations:

3=0+ 20sin(θ )*tfinal-4.9*tfinal2

4=20*cos(θ)*tfinal

Isolate the sin and cos

sin(θ)=(3+4.9*tfinal2)/20*tfinal

cos(θ)=4/20*tfinal

I combinethe squares of sin and cos

cos(θ)2+sin(θ)2=(9+29.4*tfinal2+24.01*tfinal2+16)/(400*tfinal2)

equivalent to

1=(25+29.4*tfinal2+24.01*tfinal4)/(400*tfinal2)

equivalent

(25+29.4*tfinal2+24.01*tfinal4)=400*tfinal2

(25-370.6*tfinal2+24.01*tfinal4)=0

solving this I found 4 values of t but one is correct t=3.92s

Please tell me what is wrong here.

Your work looks correct. Treat the final equation, as I'm sure you did, as a quadratic in t^2 (say X = t^2). The quadratic has two solutions: you just picked the wrong one! (When you take the square root of those solutions, you can ignore the negative values.)

There are two ways to hit the coconut: The long way or the short way. The long way is essentially shooting it up in the air in tall arc. That's not the one you want.

Doc Al said:
Your work looks correct. Treat the final equation, as I'm sure you did, as a quadratic in t^2 (say X = t^2). The quadratic has two solutions: you just picked the wrong one! (When you take the square root of those solutions, you can ignore the negative values.)

There are two ways to hit the coconut: The long way or the short way. The long way is essentially shooting it up in the air in tall arc. That's not the one you want.

I tried your suggestions
I checked and rechecked, I found the same thing.
I rechecked the equation too. they sound fine!
:cry:

brad sue said:
(25-370.6*tfinal2+24.01*tfinal4)=0

solving this I found 4 values of t but one is correct t=3.92s
Please list those four solutions.

Alternatively, if I view this as a quadratic in x = t^2:

[tex]24.01x^2 - 370.6x + 25 = 0[/tex]

This equation has two solutions. What are they?

Doc Al said:
Please list those four solutions.

Alternatively, if I view this as a quadratic in x = t^2:

[tex]24.01x^2 - 370.6x + 25 = 0[/tex]

This equation has two solutions. What are they?
the four solutions I found are:
x=3.9201...
x=0.2602...
x=-0.2602...
x=-3.9201

I get rid of the negative values and I have:

x=3.9201...
x=0.2602... but I only take x=3.9201...

when I use you equation , I have
x=15.36...
x=0.06775...

brad sue said:
I get rid of the negative values and I have:

x=3.9201...
x=0.2602... but I only take x=3.9201...
And why do you ignore the other answer? That's the one you want!

when I use you equation , I have
x=15.36...
x=0.06775...
Right. And when you take the square roots, you get the same four solutions.

Look, the coconut is 5m away from the start
(along a diagonal). If the stone travels 20m in 1 sec
then (ignoring gravity) it takes about 1/4 sec to go 5m.

WITH gravity, in 1/4 sec the stone deviates from its path
by 0.3 m, so you have to aim about twice as high,
and stone will take anout twice as long ... about half sec.

Why do you inisist on discarding the t^2 = 0.2602 [s^2]
(which means t about .51 sec) ?
You know that during 2 seconds of free-fall,
a stone would deviate from its path by nearly 20 meters
- so you want to aim 20 meters high?
That's what DocAl meant by "the long way" almost straight up.

1. What is the purpose of the experiment "Help Brad Understand: Aiming for a Coconut With His Slingshot"?

The purpose of the experiment is to study the trajectory of a projectile using a slingshot and a coconut as the target.

2. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment is conducted by setting up a target, such as a coconut, at a certain distance from the slingshot. Brad will then aim and shoot the slingshot at the target multiple times, recording the angle and distance of each shot.

3. What are the variables being tested in this experiment?

The independent variable is the angle at which the slingshot is aimed, while the dependent variable is the distance the projectile (coconut) travels. Other variables such as the force applied to the slingshot and the weight of the projectile should also be kept constant.

4. What is the expected outcome of the experiment?

The expected outcome is that the distance the coconut travels will vary depending on the angle at which the slingshot is aimed. The trajectory of the coconut should also follow a parabolic path.

5. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand the laws of motion and the concept of projectile motion. It can also be used to improve hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Additionally, the results of this experiment can be applied in real-life scenarios, such as in sports or engineering projects.