1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding light intensity

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    I have a problem understanding the intensity of light. Lets assume a monochromatic light of a single wavelength. The energy of the wave is constant and equal to h* f where h is the Planck's constant and f the frequency of the wave. The intensity of this wave is its energy divided by a given area.
    What I can't understand is how two sources emitting the same monochromatic wave to the same area can have different intensity. The area is the same, h is stable and if we change f then we talk about a different wave.

What do I miss?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you trying to relate the answer to the energy of a single photon? Would there just be a single photon?

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    I will explain my way of thinking and tell me where I am wrong.

1) The electromagnetic radiation can be either presented as a wave or a particle. An electromagnetic wave of 600nm, for example, means that there is a wave with each creast abstain 600nm from adjacent crests or a series of photons abstain 600nm from adjacent photons. Correct?

2) Each photon (or crest) has energy equal to (its frequency)*(Plunck's constant). Correct?

3) This wave travels with the speed of light. Which means that from a surface, each second, the ammount of photons that fit in 299792458 meters are passing through. So, if we have a source emitting 1 meter wavelength photons then 299792458 photons will pass through this surface in a seccond. Correct?

4)if 3 is correct this means that the intensity of every 1 meter wavelength radiation is stable for a given surface but this is wrong. There might be millions of sources emitting this radiation in different intensities. What am I missing?

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A photon is not a "crest" of a wave. This is not an accepted model. Read further about it.

6. Oct 5, 2011 #5
    Is a photon an EM wave (constant wavelength) with length equal to the speed of light?
    Can we model a photon like this?

7. Oct 5, 2011 #6
    Although the photon is an entity and it cannot be divided, in contrast to the wavelength.

8. Oct 5, 2011 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you need to pause and then 'find out' rather than making up your own possible models. For a start, how can a waveLENGTH equal a SPEED? I have no idea how to put you right on this by using the Q and A method. It's so inefficient and far too demanding on my time (and that of others).
    It's not that I don't want to help but it's just impractical. I'm sure it didn't (/doesn't) work that way in your School.
    Just look at the wiki pages if you want to make a start.

9. Oct 5, 2011 #8

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The intensity that you mention is actually more usually called the "flux" (at least that's what I'm used to as an astronomer). The energy of a SINGLE photon is hf, however, there can be a variable number of photons impinging on a certain area during a given unit time. The energy impinging on that area per unit time is then Nhf where N is the number of photons. N is the number that changes to give you variable fluxes.

10. Oct 8, 2011 #9

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Matterwave nails it.

Your definition of intensity is erroneous;

1. The energy of the wave is not h*f; the energy of a photon is h*f. The total energy of a wave is h*f times the number of photons.

2. Intensity (or more correctly, irradiance) is power/area not energy/area. Energy/area is called the fluence.

Two sources with the same wavelength over the same area can have different irradiances by emitting a different number of photons per second.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook