1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding question

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    The question asks to prove the following by writing each sine and cosine function as a sum of exponentials of arguments inwt or imwt:

integral from -pi/w to pi/w (cos (nwt)cos(mwt) dt) = {0 for n not equal to m, pi/w for n=m not equal to 0 , 2pi/w for n=m=0

Would I write the cosine funtion in the exponential form e^x+e^-x/2 and then solve by using different valuse for n and w for the one the is equal to 0 when n is not equal to m? I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Split the job in two cases
    1. You are to show that the integral is zero whenever n is not m.
    2. You are to show that the integral is the value indicated whenever n=m
    If you are unfamiliar with the exponential form, you might use:
    cos(nx)cos(mx)=1/2(cos((n-m)x)+cos((n+m)x))

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    example

I still don't get it. Can someone show me an example? Do i have to chose two different numbers for n and m?

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must do it for general n and m. Specifying them for a couple of values does not prove the result for all n and m. Just leave the n and m in there as letters (constants) and do the integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?