1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Understanding Volume Flow Rate / Bernoulli's

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Hey guys, just have a question cuz i'm having a little trouble understanding like how exactly to use the volume flow rate with bernoulli's equation. (wasnt sure which section to put this in but is more of a concept question using hw examples)

Like the volume flow rate i understand A1v1=A2v2
    for example i was doing this problem : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80584

Well its inversely proportional right but (im just being stupid probably cuz i'm really tired) but if A2 is 1/4 the size of A1 for example, then v2 is going to be 4 x the size of V1? like

A1v1 = 1/4A2v2 so 4A1/v1 = A2v2 then v2 = 4(A1/A2)(v1), well like in the problem i linked, what happens to that A1/A2? why does it disappear when being plugged into bernoulli's equation?

Also another question is the A = cross sectional area right? whats that even mean like is that the same as surface area, or regular area, or what? because in a problem like this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=65810 (now im not sure if the member solved it 100% correct) but the person here puts Volume Flow Rate = pir^2v1 for example, what is the volume flow rate in this case i dont understand and is A just the area of a circle on the tube , even tho its open its not used like a cylinder's area?

thanks if anyone can help me out im like brain dead at the moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2
    If [itex]A_2[/itex] is 1/4 [itex]A_1[/itex] then yes, [itex]V_2[/itex] will be 4 times [itex]V_1[/itex].

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say it "disappears?"

Cross sectional area is the area of a cross section. Say you have a piece of pipe. Stand the pipe on it's end on top of a piece of paper, then trace the inside of the pipe onto the paper. Find the area of that circle ([itex]A=\pi r^2[/itex]) and that's the cross sectional area.

Volumetric flow rate is a volume per unit time (e.g., [itex]\frac{m^3}{sec}[/itex]) If you do unit analysis you'll see that cross sectional area (e.g., [itex]m^2[/itex]) times fluid velocity (e.g., [itex]\frac{m}{sec}[/itex]) gives you volumetric flow rate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook