Help with a Fractal based Computer radiator

In summary, the conversation discussed using fractal geometry to create a more efficient liquid cooling radiator for computers. The idea stems from the concept of maximizing surface area for better thermal efficiency. However, it was noted that this may be difficult to implement in reality. The conversation also included a brief explanation of computer components for those unfamiliar with the terminology.
Twigsoffury
Now pardon me but my math isn't quite as good as it should be, But I've read a fair amount of mandelbrots material and the premise behind his theories as best as i can.

The other week while looking at a liquid cooling radiator for my computer, i had the odd idea of instead of a single tube with a S pattern through it for cooling.

Why couldn't you use math (like fractals) to create a hell of a lot more complex internal shape that creates the most surface area in a given space.

I've been having this discussion on a computer forum, but it seems those people don't quite understand what fractal geometry is or the basic premise behind it and my design.

If you could take a look at my thread and read through it (don't need to register or anything like that)

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26781

Would something like that indeed be a feasible option (science wise) and could such a thing be more thermally efficient then the traditional radiator. By the way prepare yourself for the horror that is my mathmatics. (I'm sure i got the majority of the math wrong, but I'm usually pretty close to what the actual number should be)
izntw5.png

2v0eolg.png

Oh for the non super computer nerds out there.

VGA = Video graphics accelrator or the "video card"
CPU= Central processer.
PSU= Power Supply Unit.
RAM = Random Addressable Module. (getting quite hot these days as some operate at over 1.3Ghz themselves now)
chipset is the "guy behind the scenes" pulling the levers to make the different components talk to each other and things such as that. they often operate at or above 2.0Ghz these days.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I see what you're saying. I'm guessing its similar to how the alveoli are very small to allow a large surface area for oxgen exchange. Or how the villi make the intestinal wall incredibly convoluted so that there is a much larger surface area.
I guess the most obvious reason this kind of principle hasn't been used in computer cooling systems is because it would be very tricky to make.

1. What is a fractal based computer radiator?

A fractal based computer radiator is a cooling system for a computer that uses fractal geometry, which is a mathematical concept that describes patterns found in nature, to improve its efficiency and cooling capabilities.

2. How does a fractal based computer radiator work?

A fractal based computer radiator works by using a series of repeating patterns, known as fractals, to increase the surface area of the radiator. This increased surface area allows for more efficient heat dissipation, keeping the computer components cool.

3. What are the benefits of using a fractal based computer radiator?

The main benefit of using a fractal based computer radiator is improved cooling performance. The fractal patterns increase the surface area of the radiator, which allows for better heat dissipation and can help prevent overheating of the computer components. Additionally, fractal based radiators are often more compact and lightweight, making them ideal for smaller computer builds.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a fractal based computer radiator?

One potential drawback of using a fractal based computer radiator is the cost. Fractal based radiators can be more expensive than traditional radiators due to their unique design and technology. Additionally, some users may find the intricate fractal patterns visually distracting.

5. Can a fractal based computer radiator be used for any type of computer?

Yes, a fractal based computer radiator can be used for any type of computer, including desktops, laptops, and servers. However, it is important to ensure that the radiator is compatible with your specific computer components and that it fits within your computer's case. It is always recommended to consult with a professional or do thorough research before purchasing and installing a fractal based computer radiator.