Help with a question about Osmosis

• Thread starter extraordinarygirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Osmosis
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why road salt spilled on grass can kill it. The participants suggest that the salt deprives the grass of water and alters the concentration of salt in the soil, leading to cell death. They also point to a previous discussion on the same topic for further information.
extraordinarygirl
I'm having a difficult time with a question in my homework and I was just wondering if anyone would help me out.
The question is:
Road salt that has been accidentally spilled on grass often kills grass. Explain why this happens?

I think it is because the salt deprives the grass of getting water, so it shrivels up and dies. Does anyone know if I am on the right track? I would love to hear another imput.

Biology news on Phys.org
You are on the right track but there might be more to it. So, if you gave us a more details explanation of your thought process we might be able to help you more.

Okay, if the grass' soil contains salt, it would be hypertonic, so the cells will kill the grass and the water around it has a higher concentration of salt, so the water will leave the cell?

Thanks for your help:)

1. What is osmosis?

Osmosis is the process by which molecules of a solvent, such as water, pass through a semipermeable membrane from a less concentrated solution to a more concentrated solution.

2. How does osmosis work?

Osmosis works through the movement of water molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration, in an effort to create an equilibrium between the two solutions.

3. What factors affect osmosis?

The rate of osmosis can be affected by several factors, including the concentration gradient, temperature, and the permeability of the membrane. Additionally, the size and charge of the solute molecules can also impact the rate of osmosis.

4. What is the role of osmosis in living organisms?

Osmosis plays a critical role in maintaining the balance of fluids and nutrients within living organisms. It is involved in processes such as water uptake in plant cells, the absorption of nutrients in the digestive system, and the regulation of cell volume in animal cells.

5. How is osmosis different from diffusion?

Osmosis and diffusion are both types of passive transport, meaning they do not require energy. However, osmosis specifically refers to the movement of water molecules, while diffusion refers to the movement of any type of molecule from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration.